Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current overrated XI

+29
Henry Nolonga
PeterCS
JKLever
lardbucket
Mick Sawyer
freddled gruntbuggly
PlanetPakistan
peterg
HH_pink
leg glancer
DJ_Smerk
holcs
Ross
Invader Zim
SG
skully
spangler
embee
tac
doremi
JGK
Chivalry Augustus
Red
taipan
Lara Lara Laughs
PearlJ
Brass Monkey
Fred Nerk
Henry
33 posters

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Current overrated XI - Page 2 Empty Re: Current overrated XI

Post by Red Tue 20 May 2008, 14:33

Furthermore, big deal if he's made a couple of tons, others on that list have done more.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Tue 20 May 2008, 14:34

Smith is unfairly and too harshly judged here. He has issues with his batting but he gets the job done more or less. Also, I've heard a few of his interviews and he doesn't at all come out as arrogant either. Maybe he was earlier, don't know. Similar to Ganguly in that regard.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 20 May 2008, 14:34

Gayle is seriously overrated.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Tue 20 May 2008, 14:34

Henry wrote:
Get How and Southee out of there. Southee hasn't played as many matches to be over-rated yet, and How actually looks to be one of the few in the NZ top order who could become decent test batsmen.

Dunno who could take How's spot (Maybe Gayle), but Southee could be replaced by Irfan Pathan I guess.

Yeah, Pathan was MASSIVELY over-rated in tests. The comedown he had the last year before making a comeback was inevitable.
doremi
doremi

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 20 May 2008, 14:35

Good to see no one has questioned Vettori's spot on this list.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Tue 20 May 2008, 14:37

From Indians, the way Kaif was treated by some quarters used to do my head in.
doremi
doremi

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Tue 20 May 2008, 14:38

AB de Villiers is a middle order batsman definitely overrated. If Stephan Fleming hadn't retired he'd be almost first on the list.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlJ Tue 20 May 2008, 14:40

Red wrote:
PearlJ wrote:
Red wrote:Symonds surely is, has maybe only had one telling innings. Most of the time his higher scores have followed a flood of runs from the top order players and he hasn't had to face the world's best bowlers (i.e. his own). Batting #6 for oz is a very protected position. Would agree with Clarke for the same reasons.

I.Sharma has done nothing wrong so far.

Yeah sure. Apart from both his tons have come when we have been in the sh!t.

Coming in at 5-84 and 4-119 (becoming 6-134) and he smacks a couple of 150+ scores.

But during that first one against England he was plumb LBW early. That reprieve probably saved his test career.

Against India he was caught behind before he reached 50. With better umpiring he'd be tonless. That reprieve was the catalyst basically behind the bad blood in the Indian series. At least the seeds were sown then.

That is such a pathetic reason. Can you name any batsmen who has never benefited from bad decisions? Still takes guts and skill to pull your team out of the fire. Plus he is amazing in ODIs.

And he was sawn off at Perth against India.
PearlJ
PearlJ

Current overrated XI - Page 2 ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3599
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 20 May 2008, 14:45

Red wrote:

Surely 6 @ 60 in Aus was nothong to write home about.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Tue 20 May 2008, 14:46

taipan wrote:
Red wrote:

Another proof that stats mean FA a lot of the time.
doremi
doremi

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Tue 20 May 2008, 14:46

taipan wrote:
Red wrote:

Steyn won't be sending many letters home either then . . .
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Tue 20 May 2008, 14:48

[quote="taipan"]
Red wrote:

Surely 6 @ 60 in Aus was nothong to write home about.[/quote

Well he mastered Punter who was rated as the world's best batsman at the time. Is only 19, bowled long spells and without luck. Filled in at late notice. In any case who is overrated him? He is just lauded as being a bowler with a great future.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 20 May 2008, 14:49

A lot of the Indians here have been rating him over Steyn
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Tue 20 May 2008, 14:50

PearlJ wrote:
Red wrote:
PearlJ wrote:
Red wrote:Symonds surely is, has maybe only had one telling innings. Most of the time his higher scores have followed a flood of runs from the top order players and he hasn't had to face the world's best bowlers (i.e. his own). Batting #6 for oz is a very protected position. Would agree with Clarke for the same reasons.

Coming in at 5-84 and 4-119 (becoming 6-134) and he smacks a couple of 150+ scores.

But during that first one against England he was plumb LBW early. That reprieve probably saved his test career.

Against India he was caught behind before he reached 50. With better umpiring he'd be tonless. That reprieve was the catalyst basically behind the bad blood in the Indian series. At least the seeds were sown then.

That is such a pathetic reason. Can you name any batsmen who has never benefited from bad decisions? Still takes guts and skill to pull your team out of the fire. Plus he is amazing in ODIs.

Point is though, without those lucky reprieves his career would have been cactus. He was lucky they persisted with him as long as they did. He averaged 19 before that innings against England. And that was after coming in often when the team had already set a great platform for him.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Tue 20 May 2008, 14:52

Red wrote:
PearlJ wrote:
Red wrote:
PearlJ wrote:

Point is though, without those lucky reprieves his career would have been cactus. He was lucky they persisted with him as long as they did. He averaged 19 before that innings against England. And that was after coming in often when the team had already set a great platform for him.

He wasn't lucky, Red, you farkin dipshit, the selectors saw he added something important to the team and gave him the chance to show it . . .
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 20 May 2008, 14:52

For all of the recent strides Symonds has made in test cricket, at the end of his career I still feel it will be his ODI exploits that people will remember him by.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Tue 20 May 2008, 14:53

taipan wrote:A lot of the Indians here have been rating him over Steyn

Well Steyn has the opportunity to perform against us downunder this summer. His last visit to our shores was inglorious so if we compare form in Australia to date Sharma is ahead.

What are stats anyway? We all know Smith deserves to be overrated yet on reflection his aren't too bad - averaging nearly 49 as an opener at a strikerate of 61 while captaining his side. Yet the purists know he's no great shakes.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Tue 20 May 2008, 14:55

Henry wrote:For all of the recent strides Symonds has made in test cricket, at the end of his career I still feel it will be his ODI exploits that people will remember him by.

Well his ODI career has been markedly longer than his test career anf he is probably one of the very top ODI players of the decade . . . so there's nowt wrong with that
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 20 May 2008, 14:57

tac wrote:
Henry wrote:For all of the recent strides Symonds has made in test cricket, at the end of his career I still feel it will be his ODI exploits that people will remember him by.

Well his ODI career has been markedly longer than his test career anf he is probably one of the very top ODI players of the decade . . . so there's nowt wrong with that

What I mean is, I think he'll become like Bevan- ie an ODI great but not quite up to it at test level.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Tue 20 May 2008, 14:59

Henry wrote:
tac wrote:

What I mean is, I think he'll become like Bevan- ie an ODI great but not quite up to it at test level.

I agree Henry. Symonds was also lucky that we could 'carry' him for a period of time. I wonder how he would have performed in a more lowly team where he came in at 4/30 quite often, not on a rare occasion. He will never go down as one of our better #6 test batsmen.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 20 May 2008, 14:59

Red wrote:
What are stats anyway? We all know Smith deserves to be overrated yet on reflection his aren't too bad - averaging nearly 49 as an opener at a strikerate of 61 while captaining his side. Yet the purists know he's no great shakes.

The royal "we"?

A lot of forummers here say he isn't overrated.

WTF has purists to do with it. Bradman was never rated the most stltist batsman around. All that counts is getting the job done and Smith appears to be doing it.

Most of the regular forummers here know I hold no brief for Smith, but saying he is overrated is just your normal anti SA BS, and fortunately everyone here knows it.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Tue 20 May 2008, 15:00

Henry wrote:
tac wrote:

You need to have another look at Bevan's stats . . .
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 20 May 2008, 15:04

TBH, no. Smith makes easyish runs... he's gotten better over the last year though.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 20 May 2008, 15:04

What's Bevan's stats got to do with it? The fact is, he was an ODI great, but his batting (ignore the 6 month period when he was Australia's second best spinner) wasn't up to it at test level. I think it will be the same with Symonds.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Tue 20 May 2008, 15:05

Henry wrote:What's Bevan's stats got to do with it? The fact is, he was an ODI great, but his batting (ignore the 6 month period when he was Australia's second best spinner) wasn't up to it at test level. I think it will be the same with Symonds.

Ummm, Roy has already surpassed Bevo by quite a way and will only continue to improve . . ..
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next