Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mitchell Johnson- How shit is he?

+33
Brass Monkey
Growler
Sidhu
Fred Nerk
Fly Pig Boy Fly
lardbucket
Invader Zim
Red
Jontyh
beamer
Shoeshine
embee
PeterCS
Naeem
horace
Zat
taipan
tac
skully
Bradman
JGK
G.Wood
Josh Carney
Blackadder
LeFromage
Merlin
Basil
Eric Air Emu
JKLever
Hass
The One
DJ_Smerk
Henry
37 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Mitchell Johnson- How shit is he? - Page 6 Empty Re: Mitchell Johnson- How shit is he?

Post by taipan Mon 30 Dec 2013, 06:03

horace wrote:vilkie in astute mode several years ago[I guarantee that there will be numerous bumps of this thread when he finds form and annihilates us..[vilkie in astute mode several years ago

More like Vilks in a rare moment of lucidity several years ago.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Mitchell Johnson- How shit is he? - Page 6 Empty Re: Mitchell Johnson- How shit is he?

Post by Henry Mon 30 Dec 2013, 16:08

Meh, I'll just wait two months, when the Johnson cycle turns over to shit again, and this thread will once again be on the money.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Mon 30 Dec 2013, 21:19

....... and Wisden will be on the money for evermore when it says that in the 2013 Ashes in Australia, MJ shot through our batting line up like a dose of the shits through a refugee camp ......
Growler
Growler

Mitchell Johnson- How shit is he? - Page 6 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 30 Dec 2013, 21:29

A huge resounding 'phurt' is blowing in from my direction. Nobody even wanted him in the side until about 2.2 months ago. Then it was a 'line of best fit, for his left arm variety' selection, amongst many an Australian groan.

I heard nobody getting all prophetic about a Midge 30+ wicket haul in this Ashes series or even much confidence in a good showing...

Threasurrecting a 4.5 year old thread to make some semi-point against a universally maligned player? Big whoop, big f*cking whoop.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Mon 30 Dec 2013, 21:37

Is the Barmy Army trumpeter still starting up "he bowls to the left" when he comes on to bowl?

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Tue 31 Dec 2013, 00:05

Billy Cooper is some star if he can toot choruses while running in to bowl!

(Actually, he is a star in any case.)
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Hass Tue 31 Dec 2013, 00:20

Brass Monkey wrote:A huge resounding 'phurt' is blowing in from my direction. Nobody even wanted him in the side until about 2.2 months ago. Then it was a 'line of best fit, for his left arm variety' selection, amongst many an Australian groan.

I heard nobody getting all prophetic about a Midge 30+ wicket haul in this Ashes series or even much confidence in a good showing...

Threasurrecting a 4.5 year old thread to make some semi-point against a universally maligned player? Big whoop, big f*cking whoop.

It's to my lasting forum regret that I wrote up a prediction Mitchell Johnson would be Man of the Series back in October... then deleted it before I posted because I couldn't be bothered spending enough time on the forum to defend the position. At least I have bragging rights amongst my friends I told in the real world.

Although I am going to take forum credit for saying Mitchell Johnson still had the potential to take 400 Test wickets back when he was struggling in the 2009 Ashes (something I'd forgotten about until this thread was resurrected). He won't get that many now, but he could easily end up 4th on the Australian wicket-takers list.

Hass

Mitchell Johnson- How shit is he? - Page 6 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2401
Registration date : 2007-09-10
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Tue 31 Dec 2013, 00:28

No stuff him Danny - he gets up on the soapbox and tries to score cheap cred and even cheaper forum hard-man brownie points slagging off what looks like an obvious target. If you keep throwing shit you really need to watch out for wind changes. Not big, not brave, not funny, not clever.

Just like VoR and 'Flintosser'.

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8821
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 31 Dec 2013, 00:38

Brass Monkey wrote:A huge resounding 'phurt' is blowing in from my direction. Nobody even wanted him in the side until about 2.2 months ago. Then it was a 'line of best fit, for his left arm variety' selection, amongst many an Australian groan.

well I am first in the queue of those who got it wrong...but I thought Vilkies' prognostication was worth as re-run

btw I still think Midge is just an average quick...that he has terrorfied into retirement cowardly no-account big mouths like Swann and has Princess playing from squareleg when batting is no great schtick
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 31 Dec 2013, 00:51

horace wrote:

well I am first in the queue of those who got it wrong...but I thought Vilkies' prognostication was worth as re-run

btw I still think Midge is just an average quick...that he has terrorfied into retirement cowardly no-account big mouths like Swann and has Princess playing from squareleg when batting is no great schtick

Ah so you are saying Broad is using the Bradman bodyline style.

Hypocrite thy name is horrie.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 31 Dec 2013, 00:52

you are truly a worthwhile Nigel
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Tue 31 Dec 2013, 00:59

Credit to MJ for "getting his shit together".

I think even greater thanks to Boof & team (over a few months) and Haddin (for rescuing at least three innings in such a way as to put the much-needed following wind in Midge's buoyant sails. Australia might have thrashed a flawed and badly trained England batting lineup without Johnson - Harris, Siddle and AN Other Quick, plus Lyon and Watto might well have done that - but they wouldn't have done so without Haddin's repeated rescue service. For that reason he's MoS for me - above Midge!)

As for us mere mortals that are Flaming Bailers ... and mainly re: Fred's remarks above:

Experience might suggest that generally "buckets of shit" of personal exasperation, extreme frustration-venting (and possible self-esteem deficit?) are more wisely emptied, with some care, down a handy nearby lavatory than flung with great sound and fury at supposed flanneled offenders.

Apart from the legendary capacity of cricket to change wind direction very quickly, it's also a pretty banal/dull read even at the time.

I mean, even Merls and CT at least have the sense to duck down quick.

Last edited by PeterCS on Tue 31 Dec 2013, 01:02; edited 1 time in total
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 31 Dec 2013, 01:01

Hass wrote:
It's to my lasting forum regret that I wrote up a prediction Mitchell Johnson would be Man of the Series back in October... then deleted it before I posted because I couldn't be bothered spending enough time on the forum to defend the position.

You could've bombed and ran.

He could well finish fourth on the AT Aus wicket takers list. My point about Mitch for time immemorial was that his head drops really quickly and when that happens, his action drops in harmony. Awesome bowler on his day, the only thing he's ever had to battle is himself. So whether or not, as the general consensus goes, he'll have many an off day remains to be seen, but I reckon he's got one more drop-then-get-picked-again time in his career.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Tue 31 Dec 2013, 01:08

Fine Pete but what does 'personal exasperation' have to do with Trev and MJ? If I was an England follower, I'd get exasperated with KP and Carbuncle and Prior and Jimmy - not with the blokes on the other team, they can play as gormlessly or as ineptly as they like.

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by OP Tipping Tue 31 Dec 2013, 01:10

rofl
OP Tipping
OP Tipping

Mitchell Johnson- How shit is he? - Page 6 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4680
Registration date : 2008-01-10
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Tue 31 Dec 2013, 01:11

Brass Monkey wrote:
Hass wrote:
It's to my lasting forum regret that I wrote up a prediction Mitchell Johnson would be Man of the Series back in October... then deleted it before I posted because I couldn't be bothered spending enough time on the forum to defend the position.

You could've bombed and ran.

He could well finish fourth on the AT Aus wicket takers list. My point about Mitch for time immemorial was that his head drops really quickly and when that happens, his action drops in harmony. Awesome bowler on his day, the only thing he's ever had to battle is himself. So whether or not, as the general consensus goes, he'll have many an off day remains to be seen, but I reckon he's got one more drop-then-get-picked-again time in his career.

And his mother. Smile  Read yesterday that the feud is still going on and he's vowed never to speak to her again. Someone joked that the BA should have had banners of her to taunt him. The bowls all over the place song is sounding a little passé now.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 31 Dec 2013, 01:11

Fred Nerk wrote:No stuff him Danny - he gets up on the soapbox and tries to score cheap cred and even cheaper forum hard-man brownie points slagging off what looks like an obvious target. If you keep throwing shit you really need to watch out for wind changes. Not big, not brave, not funny, not clever.

My point was that you can give up on yourself, and take the Trev-bagging job like so many have contemplated in our darkest moments, or you can admit to yourself there's only one person that can make a chardonnay-induced adulation/castigation post with such prolificacy that he's bound to get 1 or 20 so wrong.

My actual point was that this topic has only now got threasurrected because he's performed, for a change. I didn't see many people threasurrecting it in the last 3.5 years, when he's mainly been the butt of Australian jokes.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 31 Dec 2013, 01:13

I think carbs has done well...that KP has batted with application and carried himeself with great dignity after the cowardly attack from the chin....cliffeh has thrown himself about in the field...prior has admittedly struggled...I Ron Belfard has been the great disappointment with the bat and mirrored Chin with the ball
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 31 Dec 2013, 01:18

Let's face it, they've all been a disappointment (from an England perspective). I won't even bother to wax lyrical about the abomination, for the simple fact that they've been so abominable that they simply don't deserve my attention. But considering that Ronnie was the lone gun last time around, I'm particularly disappointed with him. Seems he's melted back into rock solid English twattery. I suppose the fact I've mentioned him means that I expected such loose shit from the rest of them, but not from him.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 31 Dec 2013, 01:23

c'mon danny...its an aberration...a once in a century flood event...yes the belf has had a bad one, but he will come back...ffs bradman got out to Hollies...the belf is Lord Ted, Kenny B and thr royals all in one ...he is on the return march
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Tue 31 Dec 2013, 01:27

Fred:

I don't know the real person behind Trev (or rather Henry), so in fairness, I can't know.

Maybe the accumulated exasperations of an occasionally overwrought Pom in what feels to him like an alien, inhospitable Oz? Very Happy(This is not a serious attempt at explanation. Best ask the person.)

But you have a point. I guess a good number of regular brickbatters on here who show a bit of heart, tend to direct their "assaults" at members of "their own side" who are or prove a letdown, aka: a pain in the arse.

Those who keep firing away at nincompoops among opposition teams, presumably enjoy some kinds of personal exasperation of their own?

(Maybe I should point out I'm not on about reasonable criticisms here, or discernable humour - whether the humour is in the form of wacky shots or decent-quality wind-ups.)
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Tue 31 Dec 2013, 01:29

Unforch that I Ron Buggered has regressed to his mid-career twitchy mediocrity in the last couple of matches, just as they might be on the lookout for a new Akela.

Still it's only two matches of bad form, give him the job and he might do a Clarke (who had been handing in crap scorecards for a whole lot longer)....

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 31 Dec 2013, 01:32

horace wrote:c'mon danny...its an aberration...a once in a century flood event...yes the belf has had a bad one, but he will come back...ffs bradman got out to Hollies...the belf is Lord Ted, Kenny B and thr royals all in one ...he is on the return march

As I've highlighted before, the last Ashes series is currently the aberration of Ronald Knicks and the fact he's seeped into the party line of England's 'gutless techniqueless' policy rings alarm bells, pardon the giganto pun.......
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Tue 31 Dec 2013, 01:34

Brass Monkey wrote:
Fred Nerk wrote:No stuff him Danny - he gets up on the soapbox and tries to score cheap cred and even cheaper forum hard-man brownie points slagging off what looks like an obvious target. If you keep throwing shit you really need to watch out for wind changes. Not big, not brave, not funny, not clever.

My point was that you can give up on yourself, and take the Trev-bagging job like so many have contemplated in our darkest moments, or you can admit to yourself there's only one person that can make a chardonnay-induced adulation/castigation post with such prolificacy that he's bound to get 1 or 20 so wrong.

My actual point was that this topic has only now got threasurrected because he's performed, for a change. I didn't see many people threasurrecting it in the last 3.5 years, when he's mainly been the butt of Australian jokes.

Very fair and sound points, mefinks.

But re: other points made by various above:

I don't think anyone can definitely predict how Johnson - or Bell - or many of the others for that matter - will go from here. We CAN certainly say that the England batsmen need a good shaking (or at least decent coaching/informed training). If they get that, .... well, I suppose most of them might be competitive again, anno domini allowing.

Hence existential labellings have their limits, so to speak.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 31 Dec 2013, 03:09

I contend that I Ron Belfard remains one of the existential conundrums of our times
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next