Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PC/Console games

+13
Shoeshine
Batman
G.Wood
Invader Zim
Makaveli
DJ_Smerk
LeFromage
Zat
Eric Air Emu
Henry Nolonga
Chivalry Augustus
doremi
JKLever
17 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

PC/Console games - Page 6 Empty Re: PC/Console games

Post by taipan Thu 20 Aug 2009, 07:44

The point was that you missed all the fun the first time around.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Thu 20 Aug 2009, 08:30

taipan wrote:The point was that you missed all the fun the first time around.

If you are a regular game player, you will know that there are very few games you actually get stuck into. Some games do make it difficult deliberately to make you play levels again. But if it is good it is still fun. Half Life 1 was deliberately designed complex and getting out of every level without a walkthru was difficult. In cases like Soldier of Fortune, getting stuck over a possibility that is unrealistic and not immediate to think up is tedious and boring. I remember One level in the first game required you to jump across an alley into a broken building from a hotel fire escape you were into across the street from 3 levels up. It was crap because this is something no one really thinks about that easily and readily. Also the smoothness of such AI depends on the computer hardware and thus impossible to pull off on slower PCs or graphic cards. If one gets stuck in a fun ride like Serious Sam it is still fun to get back to because it just means you missed killing an enemy somewhere or missed visiting a spot that resulted in lesser spawns and required kills. A game with a large number of secrets per level usually need re-visiting because most secrets are really hard to find just looking around and require sometimes a close inspection of everything, every object or every wall to find the trigger. Once in a while there are glitches in games that prevent enemies from spawning and bugs prevent you from crossing over. But a majority of the games are linear enough barring strategy games like Black & White, Civ 4 and Age of Enpires [which again have different scenarios due to felibility in paths resulting from choices made having different results and endings going for it]. So it not really an issue.

Re-visiting a fun game and unlocking missed secrets of enemies is still a lot of fun. The same in a boring game means you will hit the quit button faster and throw out the cd and move on to the next game.
Batman
Batman

Number of posts : 8881
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 20 Aug 2009, 08:31

Yes Karti
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Thu 20 Aug 2009, 08:46

So much for trying to help out a non-player understand the intricacies of playing PC games.....

shrug
Batman
Batman

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 20 Aug 2009, 08:49

Batman wrote:So much for trying to help out a non-player understand the intricacies of playing PC games.....

Batman wrote:I remember One level in the first game required you to jump across an alley into a broken building from a hotel fire escape you were into across the street from 3 levels up.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Thu 20 Aug 2009, 08:55

Would recommend you play a few PC games out first and get a feel...
Batman
Batman

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 20 Aug 2009, 08:58

Batman wrote:Would recommend you play a few PC games out first and get a feel...

Nah, don't feel like jumping across an alley into a broken building from a hotel fire escape you were into across the street from 3 levels up today.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Thu 20 Aug 2009, 09:11

taipan wrote:
Batman wrote:Would recommend you play a few PC games out first and get a feel...

Nah, don't feel like jumping across an alley into a broken building from a hotel fire escape you were into across the street from 3 levels up today.

Thats one of the reasons why playing games is so much fun. It gives you the simulation and ecstacy of doing things you could never do in real life. Like shooting criminals, tracking and killing terrorists, blowing up terrorist bases, ruling and raiding kingdoms, fighting evil aliens and saving your planet. The level of involvement is much greater.

When I worked in a gaming company, my animator colleagues made the PC games we played more exciting with a few modifications. We would modify the 3-D player models face skins. We would scan our own photos and repaint them in photoshop to match them with character models in the games and replace the face skins. The game would then show the characters with our likenesses and faces and made it more exciting as we felt we were really in the game and increased the level of involvement in it. Gamers here would know what it would be like if they saw themselves represented and playing as characters in a game like Quake 3 Arena fo example.....

Very Happy
Batman
Batman

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 20 Aug 2009, 09:14

Batman wrote:
taipan wrote:

Thats one of the reasons why playing games is so much fun. It gives you the simulation and ecstacy of doing things you could never do in real life. Like shooting criminals, tracking and killing terrorists, blowing up terrorist bases, ruling and raiding kingdoms, fighting evil aliens and saving your planet. The level of involvement is much greater.
When I worked in a gaming company, my animator colleagues made the PC games we played more exciting with a few modifications. We would modify the 3-D player models face skins. We would scan our own photos and repaint them in photoshop to match them with character models in the games and replace the face skins. The game would then show the characters with our likenesses and faces and made it more exciting as we felt we were really in the game and increased the level of involvement in it. Gamers here would know what it would be like if they saw themselves represented and playing as characters in a game like Quake 3 Arena fo example.....

Very Happy

Just like real life in India then?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Thu 20 Aug 2009, 09:20

taipan wrote:
Batman wrote:
taipan wrote:

Very Happy

Just like real life in India then?

India has evil aliens and terrorist bases that need blowing up?
Right. Whatever stokes your imagination for the day. You could try developing a game around it. Good luck with it.....

Laughing
Batman
Batman

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 20 Aug 2009, 09:22

Modi isn't an alien?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 20 Aug 2009, 11:58

Dello wrote:You'd love some Bioshock then, Dan. Set in an underwater, Art Deco dystopia, where everyone is addicted to violence and drugs.

Good times.

Sounds good. What's platform? Could just about manage a PC..
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Thu 20 Aug 2009, 12:51

JKLever wrote:Hmmmmm....

I was busy 'owning' all on Unreal tournament at that time.

Would love to have an online frag with you one of these days. Are you talking about the original UT or UT 2004 [which I thought was absolute crap]. If it is original UT, my fav, I am absolutely unbeatable in Morpheus, Spacenoxx and space based CTF Map The Face.
[BTW - I play UT in God level, so be very warned.]

onguard aces
Batman
Batman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Aug 2009, 12:58

Batman wrote:

Would love to have an online frag with you one of these days. Are you talking about the original UT or UT 2004 [which I thought was absolute crap]. If it is original UT, my fav, I am absolutely unbeatable in Morpheus, Spacenoxx and space based CTF Map The Face.
[BTW - I play UT in God level, so be warned.]

onguard aces
Every serious UT player plays god mode Smile.

I beat the PC on morpheus 50-0 once.

And Danny, Bioshock is on the PC. I might give it another play through today, it's the only FPS that's on a par with HL2 I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 20 Aug 2009, 12:59

OK nice one, may have to check it out. I'm too busy though usually.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Thu 20 Aug 2009, 13:51

vilkrang wrote:
Batman wrote:

[BTW - I play UT in God level, so be warned.]

onguard aces
Every serious UT player plays god mode Smile.

I beat the PC on morpheus 50-0 once.

And Danny, Bioshock is on the PC. I might give it another play through today, it's the only FPS that's on a par with HL2 I think.

If you beat Morpheus using all standard weapons than you are better than me, because the PC AI is very strong with shockwave and sniper weapons left on it's own and impossible to beat 50-0 without getting any kills or minus frags against your name. I can get a live player 50/-50 without any problems and I do beat the PC, but not without losing a couple of lives or dying a few times in the process. It's usually on a scale of 6 or 7/10 frags. The best I did get was 20-0 once, I think. Absolute rampage. But 50-0? You sure you weren't playing Master level?
aye-aye

My fav is playing the rocket launcher only arenas set from the mods settings especially in Morpheus, Spacenoxx, Morbius and Fractal. It's a blood riot!
Batman
Batman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Aug 2009, 14:35

I was playing instagib to be honest though I usually beat it with normal weapons as well. But I used to be a god back in the day on instagib, hence why I also loved the rail gun in Quake 2 Very Happy.

Haven't played an online FPS game for years now though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Thu 20 Aug 2009, 17:05

Tell you, if you are looking for absolute chaos and fun in UT, play a team frag in Morpheus, rocket launcher only, Red v/s Blue 4 players a side and set for 250 frags and have a ball. Then stay aerial over the terraces firing rockets non-stop all over the spawn points. The key is getting 125+ frags all to your name...

aces
Batman
Batman

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 20 Aug 2009, 19:24

Batman wrote:

[BTW - I play UT in God level, so be very warned.]

onguard aces

Yeah, the original I think? Might have been the game of the year edition. They are still playing that online now.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sun 23 Aug 2009, 01:00

So I downloaded the Portal demo and got motion sickness! I can handle most FPS the only other one which I got bad was Wolfenstein years ago.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Aug 2009, 01:08

JKLever wrote:So I downloaded the Portal demo and got motion sickness! I can handle most FPS the only other one which I got bad was Wolfenstein years ago.
Don't be a cock, give it just half an hour. It's literally one of the best games of the last few years of any genre, only an utter c*nt wouldn't give it a chance and I know you don't want to be that guy.

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Sun 23 Aug 2009, 01:16

You tell him Vilks.

Next he'll be savagely destroying MW2...

JKLever, you must play Crysis.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sun 23 Aug 2009, 01:53

vilkrang wrote:
JKLever wrote:So I downloaded the Portal demo and got motion sickness! I can handle most FPS the only other one which I got bad was Wolfenstein years ago.
Don't be a cock, give it just half an hour. It's literally one of the best games of the last few years of any genre, only an utter c*nt wouldn't give it a chance and I know you don't want to be that guy.

Honestly, it was making me dizzy all the falling through the floor and coming out the other side in the same room. It was a good game, no doubt but it was really making me ill
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sun 23 Aug 2009, 10:18

JKLever wrote:
vilkrang wrote:

Honestly, it was making me dizzy all the falling through the floor and coming out the other side in the same room. It was a good game, no doubt but it was really making me ill

Just like real life then?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6