Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mitchell Johnson...Overrated? or a Star of the Future.

+24
lardbucket
Ross
Josh Carney
Zat
ojitarian
Blackadder_
Brass Monkey
Fred Nerk
please don't yell
G.Wood
doremi
Geoffrey Trueman
tac
bodyline
skully
horace
LeFromage
Henry
embee
PearlJ
Mick Sawyer
Basil
JGK
DJ_Smerk
28 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Mitchell Johnson...Overrated? or a Star of the Future. - Page 6 Empty Re: Mitchell Johnson...Overrated? or a Star of the Future.

Post by tac Thu 15 Nov 2007, 13:20

Minnesota Fats wrote:
lardbucket wrote:
Minnesota Fats wrote:
embee wrote:Big Yarpie who kept breaking down

Yesssss I remember.Cool I kept thinking Le Roux so my unconscience was in the right country.

First case of forum coma-over

All I had to do was google Schultz.

You never learn unless you ask. Guys on here lack the guts to ask questions then you learn who will take advantage.

As for unconscience correlations I just tell 'em but don't explain 'em.Smile

You gotta admire Henry. He has the guts to say it as he sees it.

That's just Tourette's . . . nothing to do with guts.
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Mitchell Johnson...Overrated? or a Star of the Future. - Page 6 Empty Re: Mitchell Johnson...Overrated? or a Star of the Future.

Post by Winkle Spinner Thu 15 Nov 2007, 17:04

Bill Voce would have been a pretty quik left-armer. Don't know whether he would still have been fast by modern standards, though.
Winkle Spinner
Winkle Spinner

Number of posts : 953
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 15 Nov 2007, 17:12

Garry Sobers could get them down pretty fast when the mood took him, and that was just pint glasses.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by Minnesot Fri 16 Nov 2007, 04:27

Just after the war till Wes Hall came along my old man reckons Larwood and Lindwall were quite a bit quicker than anyone else .
He reckons Hall was at least as fast as anyone he has seen. He was impressed by Lillee as well.

I doubt Davidson or Sobers were all that quick.

Minnesot

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Mon 06 Dec 2010, 10:54

Fred Nerk wrote:Doubt if Lillee, McGrath, Lindwall, McKenzie, Marshall, Ambrose, Roberts, Garner, Hall, Hadlee, Imran Khan, Kapil Dev, or even Andy Caddick or Steve Harmison had shown their entite repertoire one innings and six overs into their Test careers either.

Johnson probably did, 3 balls into his first over. Very Happy
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 06 Dec 2010, 10:56

Technically, three years later, we can say 'BOTH', in answer to Smerk's question. He WAS a star in the future when he was sending down thunderbolts against South Africa (about a year after this thread was started), but he's also proven to be overrated in subsequent ashes battles against England.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Mon 06 Dec 2010, 11:10

doremi wrote:
Fred Nerk wrote:Doubt if Lillee, McGrath, Lindwall, McKenzie, Marshall, Ambrose, Roberts, Garner, Hall, Hadlee, Imran Khan, Kapil Dev, or even Andy Caddick or Steve Harmison had shown their entite repertoire one innings and six overs into their Test careers either.

Johnson probably did, 3 balls into his first over. Very Happy

You do realise Doris that whatever time you spent digging that post up, is now GONE from your life and you'll NEVER get it back?

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8810
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Mon 06 Dec 2010, 11:14

I was searching for another thread. Found this one, couldn't resist a read.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 06 Dec 2010, 11:19

doremi wrote:I was searching for another thread. Found this one, couldn't resist a read.

Oh, so you were digging up another thread from 3 years back?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 06 Dec 2010, 13:36

Mitchell Johnson...Overrated? or a Star of the Future.

Grossly overrted - lacks the heart for a scrap, lacks imagination and, worst sin of all, doesn't give of his best 100pct of the time.
Just rockin' up and rollin' yer arm over ain't gonna cut it.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Mon 09 Feb 2015, 12:31

It's still interesting to see how quickly and with how much gleeful certainty Mitchell Johnson was 'written off', back in the day.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38091
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Mon 09 Feb 2015, 13:08

a shame smerky wasnt selecting pommy teams in 09

embee
embee

Number of posts : 26204
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 09 Feb 2015, 13:22

lardbucket wrote:It's still interesting to see how quickly and with how much gleeful certainty Mitchell Johnson was 'written off', back in the day.

I think we can argue both sides of this. He did have a number of failures between then and now.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 09 Feb 2015, 14:06

lardbucket wrote:It's still interesting to see how quickly and with how much gleeful certainty Mitchell Johnson was 'written off', back in the day.

Can the quickness and glee be highlighted please?

Only, I've gone through the entire thread and the first be of glee I can possibly see is doremi in 2010, followed by merlin in 2010. If it can even be classed as gleeful. And that was three years later. Which I don't see as quick.

Maybe Trev early on?

I see a lot of fence-sitting, conversations about Brett Lee and Craig McDermott. Maybe I've read it wrong?

Also, shouldn't there have been staunch backing of Midge from the gleeful certainty? Also, him only performing consistently 7 years later - bit of a long time, wouldn't you say?

Lots of questions to answer.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Mon 09 Feb 2015, 14:19

Much more important than anything else anyone else wrote, this forum has been around since 2007? 8-ish years?

What have you b@stards done with my youth? Ok, early middle age?
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12507
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Mon 09 Feb 2015, 14:30

we bought* an effigy of your youth ...and burned it like it was Steve Bucknor

* from your online effigy emporium
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26204
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 09 Feb 2015, 14:58

furriner wrote:Much more important than anything else anyone else wrote, this forum has been around since 2007? 8-ish years?

What have you b@stards done with my youth? Ok, early middle age?

I left mine on C4
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 09 Feb 2015, 15:30

The internet wasn't around when you left yours.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Feb 2015, 16:38

Yes, I don't think it has been pointed out before.

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 09 Feb 2015, 17:35

Brass Monkey wrote:The internet wasn't around when you left yours.

You bitch.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Mon 09 Feb 2015, 20:22

Brass Monkey wrote:Also, shouldn't there have been staunch backing of Midge from the gleeful certainty?

Why on earth would you think that?

Personally I would think NEITHER appropriate.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38091
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 09 Feb 2015, 23:10

I continue to find Midge even more unlikely than matters I have learnt to be true.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6