Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mitchell Johnson...Overrated? or a Star of the Future.

+24
lardbucket
Ross
Josh Carney
Zat
ojitarian
Blackadder_
Brass Monkey
Fred Nerk
please don't yell
G.Wood
doremi
Geoffrey Trueman
tac
bodyline
skully
horace
LeFromage
Henry
embee
PearlJ
Mick Sawyer
Basil
JGK
DJ_Smerk
28 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Mitchell Johnson...Overrated? or a Star of the Future. - Page 5 Empty Re: Mitchell Johnson...Overrated? or a Star of the Future.

Post by Ross Thu 15 Nov 2007, 16:28

Lee's 150+ days may well be over; not that pace has ever been everything
It is indeed 'odd' that this coincided with his career-best Test figures.
Ross
Ross

Number of posts : 1033
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Mitchell Johnson...Overrated? or a Star of the Future. - Page 5 Empty Re: Mitchell Johnson...Overrated? or a Star of the Future.

Post by lardbucket Thu 15 Nov 2007, 16:30

More sagacity. Lee successful after realisation that 'bowling is more than slinging as fast as possible' shock.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38091
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Minnesot Thu 15 Nov 2007, 16:35

Henry wrote:He didnt really swing the red ball back into the right hander during the last test. His pace surprised me. I had him down as a 135-145 kph man, but a lot of his deliveries were around the 147-148 mark. In fact his quickest ball in the match was 150 kph, which was faster than Lee's quickest ball (149 kph).

Lee's 150+ days may well be over; not that pace has ever been everything.

His fuller pitched delivery straightened on several occasions at the Gabba.

OK I admit not as much as it did in India with the white ball but I'm positive I have seen him swing the ball both ways in Pura Cup games.

Minnesot

Back to top Go down

Post by Minnesot Thu 15 Nov 2007, 16:43

How many left armers capable of 150kmh have we seen?

Name a few.

Minnesot

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 15 Nov 2007, 16:45

Davidson. Wasim Akram. Brett Schultz.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu 15 Nov 2007, 16:51

tac wrote:
DJ_Smerk wrote:Englands Attack for the Ashes 2009

I'd be happy with

Sidebottom
Hoggard
Harris
Broad
Panesar

Fark that's an ordinary attack . . .
And an even more ordinary tail. Joyzus H Crickey, England's no. 7 will be Broad????
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105931
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 15 Nov 2007, 16:52

RP Singh is pretty slippery. Bowled up around 147-148 kph against Aus in the ODI's. Kiwi Geoff Allott was quick before his body gave way in typical Kiwi fashion. Ryan Sidebottom bowled up around 145 kph at times last English summer.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by please don't yell Thu 15 Nov 2007, 16:57

Even pathan has pushed high 140's.

That sort of pace doesn't worry modern bats, johnson needs to be able to swing the ball in to make that extra 10kph count for something otherwise it's just good for those that like the speed gun.

please don't yell

Number of posts : 1138
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 15 Nov 2007, 16:57

And an even more ordinary tail. Joyzus H Crickey, England's no. 7 will be Broad????

Huh? How did you get that? Broad has the potential to be a very good number 8. I think Englands 2009 attack will be something like-

Hoggard
Sidebottom
Broad
Panesar

Harmison, Tremlett, Anderson, a guy calld Mark Footitt from Notts (Who is a left armer who has been timed at 93mph at Englands academy), and Surreys Chris Jordan(Who is only 19, but already being raved about) could also be in the mix.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Thu 15 Nov 2007, 17:04

Henry wrote:

Huh? How did you get that? Broad has the potential to be a very good number 8.

...but a crap number 7 ...do the maths trev
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26204
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu 15 Nov 2007, 17:06

Bwahahaha @ Trev, who can't count backwards from 11. Surely Pigsy wouldn't bat in front of Broad.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105931

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Thu 15 Nov 2007, 17:27

Trev in "I should shut the fark up" shock.
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 15 Nov 2007, 17:51

DJ Smerk is including Harris because he's from Glamorgan. It was a tongue in cheek selection.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Minnesot Thu 15 Nov 2007, 18:13

lardbucket wrote:Davidson. Wasim Akram. Brett Schultz.

I doubt Davidson was over 140. Lindwall though right handed was much faster than Davo about 10 kmh quicker IMO.

Concede Akram though.

Who is Schultz I remember the name?

Minnesot

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Thu 15 Nov 2007, 18:17

Big Yarpie who kept breaking down
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by Minnesot Thu 15 Nov 2007, 18:31

embee wrote:Big Yarpie who kept breaking down

Yesssss I remember.Cool I kept thinking Le Roux so my unconscience was in the right country.

Minnesot

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Thu 15 Nov 2007, 18:33

Minnesota Fats wrote:

Yesssss I remember.Cool I kept thinking Le Roux so my unconscience was in the right country.

And you say you're a teacher? FFS!
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Thu 15 Nov 2007, 18:34

At 6'8" , Chooky must have been able to get a bit of speed on the ball ...of course every time he bent his back it broke

What speed did Mullally serve his pies?
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 15 Nov 2007, 18:45

What speed did Mullally serve his pies?

Around 80 mph.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 15 Nov 2007, 18:47

Minnesota Fats wrote:

First case of forum coma-over

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Minnesot Thu 15 Nov 2007, 22:13

lardbucket wrote:
Minnesota Fats wrote:

First case of forum coma-over

All I had to do was google Schultz.

You never learn unless you ask. Guys on here lack the guts to ask questions then you learn who will take advantage.

As for unconscience correlations I just tell 'em but don't explain 'em.Smile

You gotta admire Henry. He has the guts to say it as he sees it.

Minnesot

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Thu 15 Nov 2007, 23:50

Ross wrote:
Lee's 150+ days may well be over; not that pace has ever been everything
It is indeed 'odd' that this coincided with his career-best Test figures.

Aye - you'd think that 7 years of playing with Glenn McGrath would have taught him that but it seems that it was only after tgm retired that that fact has become clear.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 15 Nov 2007, 23:56

Lee only bowled well in one test. That's happened before. It's a bit too early to say that he has turned a corner. Remember the 2005 Gabba test against the Windies? Everyone was saying then that he had turned the corner, but a week later he was bowling tripe again.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Thu 15 Nov 2007, 23:58

Yeah Trev we know. Lee has flattered to decieve many times before.

If he gets through this summer with 30 wickets in the 6 tests I will start to be a believer.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Fri 16 Nov 2007, 00:11

I think as a series goes on, he tends to struggle more because he has to push harder to get the extra pace, meaning he loses his accuracy. He's always been at his best when he's glided to the wicket and looked like he's bowling with minimal effort.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next