Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bannies v subis

+22
Demelza
bodyline
G.Wood
Basil
Ash
DJ_Smerk
eowyn
The One
philcric
Fred Nerk
Zat
horace
buckSH
embee
furriner
tac
taipan
CT
Merlin
lardbucket
Shoeshine
skully
26 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Bannies v subis - Page 2 Empty Re: Bannies v subis

Post by The One Tue 16 Mar 2010, 13:14

there are 15 aussies on the board?

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 17 Mar 2010, 19:56

skully wrote:See, furri comes in with some humour, while other twats come in their blow up girlfriends.

If only some of the other Bannies could take a leaf out of the furrster's book.

Agreed, you farking Aussie.

Does that make Aussie a racial term?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Wed 17 Mar 2010, 20:24

My name is Angela shortened to Ang or Ange, some people call me Angie, I politely tell them that I don't like being called that. Most people accept that easliy only people who think they are being highly 'amusing' carry on calling me Angie.

I have never used the term "subi", I see no need to use it. People from the Subcontinent have, on the most part, said quite politely that they don't liike the term. Why continue to offend people in that way? Telling them to accept it because you say it's not offensive? This place is supposed to be a community of people who like cricket and also have other things in common they discuss, why deliberately offnd a part of that community?

I have noticed that it's a few die-hards who continue to use the term as if to prove a point, (mainly Aussies and the odd Saffie, which may say quite a lot) and waht point does it prove anyway? Just try and get with the few decent people that remain here would seem to be a good starting point.
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 17 Mar 2010, 20:31

eowyn wrote:My name is Angela shortened to Ang or Ange, some people call me Angie, I politely tell them that I don't like being called that. Most people accept that easliy only people who think they are being highly 'amusing' carry on calling me Angie.

I have never used the term "subi", I see no need to use it. People from the Subcontinent have, on the most part, said quite politely that they don't liike the term. Why continue to offend people in that way? Telling them to accept it because you say it's not offensive? This place is supposed to be a community of people who like cricket and also have other things in common they discuss, why deliberately offnd a part of that community?

I have noticed that it's a few die-hards who continue to use the term as if to prove a point, (mainly Aussies and the odd Saffie, which may say quite a lot) and waht point does it prove anyway? Just try and get with the few decent people that remain here would seem to be a good starting point.

Well some might note that Paki is an acceptable term in Aus (per a few Aussie posters here). Why is it racial in England?

To me it has always been a geographical term. Same as Aussie and Saffie.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Wed 17 Mar 2010, 20:34

Just for the record, I hate the word "Paki".

If it's said in a bad tone, it's disgusting.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Wed 17 Mar 2010, 20:36

eowyn wrote:My name is Angela shortened to Ang or Ange, some people call me Angie, I politely tell them that I don't like being called that. Most people accept that easliy only people who think they are being highly 'amusing' carry on calling me Angie.

this.
Ash
Ash

Bannies v subis - Page 2 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2000
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Mar 2010, 20:41

Yeah, good post.

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Wed 17 Mar 2010, 20:42

taipan wrote:

Well some might note that Paki is an acceptable term in Aus (per a few Aussie posters here). Why is it racial in England?

If you had ever heard the word "paki" spat out by an ignorant, intolerant person here, you would never ask that question.
eowyn
eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 17 Mar 2010, 20:42

Ash wrote:

this.

This forum ever had decent people?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 17 Mar 2010, 20:44

eowyn wrote:
taipan wrote:

If you had ever heard the word "paki" spat out by an ignorant, intolerant person here, you would never ask that question.

I sort of think that was my point.
You were the one one said (mainly Aussies and the odd Saffie, which may say quite a lot)
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Wed 17 Mar 2010, 20:45

good point. ****** off angie, you're chatting shit.
Ash
Ash

Bannies v subis - Page 2 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2000
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Wed 17 Mar 2010, 20:50

I know, Ash. It's all I ever do.

Asking Aussies and the odd saffie to accept that they are being insulting, even though they don't really understand why they are, was far too much.
eowyn
eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Wed 17 Mar 2010, 20:52

Which one is the odd Saffie? They're all a bit odd IMO (not that there's anything wrong with that).

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38112
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 17 Mar 2010, 20:53

Angela, we know exactly what we are doing. Do the indians know that playing the race card incessantly understand that?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 17 Mar 2010, 20:54

lardbucket wrote:Which one is the odd Saffie? They're all a bit odd IMO (not that there's anything wrong with that).

It's me, FFS Lardy.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Wed 17 Mar 2010, 20:55

Sorry, I should have said some odd Saffies.

I'm suitably chastised and of course anything I said previous to this is now totally invalidated.
eowyn
eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Wed 17 Mar 2010, 20:57

eowyn wrote:
taipan wrote:

Yes, an earlier entirely innocent use of this purely abbreviative term in Australia through the 70s has now been completely polluted by the prevalent perjorative use of the same word by a number of intolerant racist gets in England. Once knowledge of that use arrived here, and especially after hearing the contemptuous and intolerant TONE used by the people Ange speaks of when they utter that word, it becomes impossible to use the term again in a simply abbreviative way. Especially in print, as the reader may assume it is delivered with that Garnet tone!

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Wed 17 Mar 2010, 21:01

taipan wrote:Angela, we know exactly what we are doing. Do the indians know that playing the race card incessantly understand that?

You're being insulting on purpose to all who come from the sub-continental countries to prove some point to a couple of people who know exactly what they and you are doing? Words fail me.
eowyn
eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 17 Mar 2010, 21:02

lardbucket wrote:
eowyn wrote:
taipan wrote:

Yes, an earlier entirely innocent use of this purely abbreviative term in Australia through the 70s has now been completely polluted by the prevalent perjorative use of the same word by a number of intolerant racist gets in England. Once knowledge of that use arrived here, and especially after hearing the contemptuous and intolerant TONE used by the people Ange speaks of when they utter that word, it becomes impossible to use the term again in a simply abbreviative way. Especially in print, as the reader may assume it is delivered with that Garnet tone!

Precisely, which is why it is never used on this forum that I can recall.

However I have never seen Subi used elsewhere other than here.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Wed 17 Mar 2010, 21:03

eowyn wrote:Sorry, I should have said some odd Saffies.

I'm suitably chastised and of course anything I said previous to this is now totally invalidated.

???

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 17 Mar 2010, 21:05

eowyn wrote:
taipan wrote:Angela, we know exactly what we are doing. Do the indians know that playing the race card incessantly understand that?

You're being insulting on purpose to all who come from the sub-continental countries to prove some point to a couple of people who know exactly what they and you are doing? Words fail me.

On purpose?

So are you going to have a go at Zat, Skully and Zimmy as well?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 17 Mar 2010, 21:11

Actually the funny part is that I have challenged all the sub-continental posters to produce any racial comment I have ever made. This challenge goes back over 6 years to the C4 days. I am still waiting.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Wed 17 Mar 2010, 21:12

I already have said it's Aussies that use the term in the main and I think all of the people you mention know exactly how I feel about it.

I know most of you think I'm being pathetic saying what I do but I feel strongly about it and I'll keep saying it as long as I keep posting here.
eowyn
eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 17 Mar 2010, 21:13

eowyn wrote:I already have said it's Aussies that use the term in the main and I think all of the people you mention know exactly how I feel about it.

I know most of you think I'm being pathetic saying what I do but I feel strongly about it and I'll keep saying it as long as I keep posting here.

Fair enough. I think it's known as freedom of speech.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Wed 17 Mar 2010, 21:21

Ange ... obviously I don't know what others think, but your view is not pathetic in my view ... just a differing view. I rarely have use for the abbreviation 'subi' - if ever - except to discuss its use! 'silly subi' has some alliterative power so it can creep in for that reason, but is said light-heartedly if used here.

It's a bit similar to the use of 'Pom', which can with subtle alterations of tone be affectionate, admiring, neutral, scathing, contemptuous, or even loaded with hatred. It's hard to pick intent in the written word unless it's associated with a giveaway adjective (smelly, vile, filthy, brave)!

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next