Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current International One Day Cricket

+16
Aditya
Lost Wombat
WideWally
embee
PeterCS
Basil
JGK
Red
horace
beamer
Blackadder
Bradman
lardbucket
Nath
Big Dog
skully
20 posters

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

Current International One Day Cricket - Page 19 Empty Re: Current International One Day Cricket

Post by PeterCS Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:41 am

Capt. Morgan sort of allows the pun, I assessed.

Well, I gave myself the licence.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Current International One Day Cricket - Page 19 Empty Re: Current International One Day Cricket

Post by beamer Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:50 am

PeterCS wrote:By the way, who gave Roy & Vince the book of vouchers each for free drinks at the Last Chance Saloon?
“Roy and Vince” does sound rather like a pair of chancers from the ‘70s... the former must have enough credit in the bank for the time being, though Pato could apply some pressure given he’s an opener by trade.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:23 am

Some chase by the Irish... but a piss poor effort from our bowlers to fail to defend that score. Not too much pressure put on the five or six first choice players who are away with the Test side.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:20 am

Cracking win for the Irish. Amazing that lightning struck exactly twice in several respects. Total overhauled, batsman, etc.

Some work to do for the England set-up, which is a good thing. They could start by chopping a couple of branches of dead wood away.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:54 am

Excellent! Something good for world cricket from the COVID debacle.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38074
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:56 am

PeterCS wrote:Capt. Morgan sort of allows the pun, I assessed.

... and I only had the order wrong: out came Rum, he went the lash, then there was sodomy.

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:12 am

Geez, that's some effort by the Paddies to get up last night.

Well done them.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105898
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:30 pm

lardbucket wrote:
PeterCS wrote:Capt. Morgan sort of allows the pun, I assessed.

... and I only had the order wrong: out came Rum, he went the lash, then there was sodomy.

A bit of a disservice to the Irish effort to call it that, though.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:32 pm

I hope Eoin went on the lash afterwards (English/Irish English for "out drinking, copiously").

He personally deserved it.

Two or three of his teammates, merited a whip-round (in the old Roman galley sense).
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:47 pm

beamer was saying above that Jason Roy perhaps deserves a bit more slack yet.

But I'm not sure why tbh.

Banton's natural and preferred position is to lead off from the front; time perhaps he was given a chance to see what he's made of. Also generally a better fielder.

So too Livingstone. An unfortunate start for England - not alone in that regard. But it might be time to look ahead. James Vince has certainly cut all his ropes.

At least until the crossovers return, something like?:

Banton
Bairstow
Livingstone
Morgan
Malan (where's he gone?) or Duckett (ditto)
Billings (surprised to see myself say that - but he's earned another chance)
Willey
Curran T (not Raisi N)
Rashid
Leach (if they don't want him in the Test team) or Stone (same comment as for Leach)
Mahmood

I couldn't guarantee a team on those lines would succeed, but it would at least be looking forward.

Meaning also, Mo should be competing for a Test place; doesn't seem to fit the LO stuff so well.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:33 am

Or: swap Bess and Buttler for Bairstow and Moeen between Test and LO sides?

PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:54 am

PeterCS wrote:beamer was saying above that Jason Roy perhaps deserves a bit more slack yet.

But I'm not sure why tbh.

Banton's natural and preferred position is to lead off from the front; time perhaps he was given a chance to see what he's made of. Also generally a better fielder.
I think Cricinfo sums it up quite well.

Having started the tournament in formidable form - he made a half-century against South Africa and a brutal 153 against Bangladesh - he suffered a hamstring injury against West Indies and could only watch-on as England suffered tournament threatening defeats against Sri Lanka and Australia.

Rushed back into the side - there was little evidence that he had fully recovered - Roy responded with three typically domineering half-centuries (innings of 66, 60 and 85) and three century partnerships with the equally prolific Jonny Bairstow in what were effectively knock-out games against India, New Zealand and Australia. By the end of that Australia game - the World Cup semi-final - Roy had registered three centuries and six half-centuries in his previous 11 ODI innings. Ben Stokes' brilliance understandably stole the headlines in the final, but there was no way England were reaching that stage without the remarkable consistency of Roy and Bairstow. Going into the final, the pair had recorded four century stands in succession (a record for a single tournament) and 11 in 32 ODIs. And they had the highest strike-rates in history of opening batsmen with more than 1,000 ODI runs to their name.

Do we really want to dispense with one of the best ODI opening partnerships of all time based on a brief run of poor form? He’s come through one or two of those before, maybe the Test experience has scarred him a bit but it’s too soon to judge and he’s just as likely to respond with a score that a darts player would be proud of. By all means give Pato some game time, if he’s the anointed successor as destructive Yarpom ODI opener. But it’s quite possible we will be fielding the same top six to start the next World Cup.

Vince on the other hand has surely run out of chances. Maybe Red Ken does deserve another look. Duckett presumably out of favour for being a bit of a dickhead, and Malan too old to be worth keeping around as a squad man (though same perhaps applies to Denly).

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:51 am

Pato?

Red Ken is Livingstone, I presume?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:59 am

Pato Banton, for those not acquainted with mid-90s reggae-pop...

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:37 am

PeterCS wrote:I hope Eoin went on the lash afterwards (English/Irish English for "out drinking, copiously").

He personally deserved it.

Two or three of his teammates, merited a whip-round (in the old Roman galley sense).

A little Pogues reference, Peter, and surely (despite Captain Rum's successful lashing of a century) the Paddies sodomised the Sloppy Seconds thoroughly.

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:52 pm

Oh, I well know the Churchillian Pogue allusion - and George Melly's quainter alternative formulation too (title of his autobiography about his naval life), "Rum, Bum and Concertina".

https://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,,-1433,00.html

You're not the only one who makes tongue-in-cheek comments on here! Very Happy
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:02 pm

beamer wrote:Pato Banton, for those not acquainted with mid-90s reggae-pop...

But that I didn't know, or had overlooked.

So much "Pato/Patto" lore in cricket - at least five I can think of off the top of my head, mainly bowlers, a Jamaican Test terror, two semi-Aussie players (one more deserving of Test status than the other) and now a new Spoon who's more of a bat, also a Yorkshire county medium-pacer & skipper - adding another (neither Patterson nor Pattinson) can easily confuse my addled brains.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:54 pm

As I think I said on here before, I remember Tom Banton’s dad Colin turning up at Notts around the time of the aforementioned singer’s chart success, and us instantly christening him Pato...

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:02 pm

I must have missed it.

And now out of context, more confusing (at least to the likes of me).
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:49 am

Nath wrote:
skully wrote:T20 WC officially postponed

"This year's men's T20 World Cup has officially been postponed, with the International Cricket Council hedging its bets on when the tournament might return to Australia.

After its latest teleconference hook-up on Monday, the International Cricket Council confirmed the tournament would move from its October-November window this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, paving the way for the Indian Premier League to fill the void.

The ICC has instead confirmed windows for the next three global men's tournaments, with men's T20 World Cups to be played in October-November 2021, and again in October-November 2022, while the 2023 ODI World Cup has also been pushed back from February-March to October-November of that year.

Future ICC events

2021 Women's ODI World Cup, 6 February to 7 March, New Zealand

2021 Men's T20 World Cup, October to 14 November, Host nation TBC (India or Australia)

2022 Women's T20 World Cup, dates TBC, South Africa

2022 Men's T20 World Cup, October to 13 November, Host nation TBC (India or Australia)

2023 Men's ODI World Cup, October to 26 November, India

Australia and India remain as hosts of the next two men's T20 World Cup events but which country hosts in which year is still to be determined, with the delay allowing the ICC to continue to assess the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic."

----------------------------------------

No surprises there.

seems unlikely that you would schedule a 2022 T20 World Cup and 2023 ODI World Cup both in India.  so then India host 2021 T20 World Cup, and Australia host 2022 T20 World Cup

called it!
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 11961

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:44 am

PeterCS wrote:I hope Eoin went on the lash afterwards (English/Irish English for "out drinking, copiously").

Works the same here.

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:39 pm

Australia's T20 and ODI squad for the ODI series in September: Aaron Finch (c), Sean Abbott, Ashton Agar, Alex Carey, Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Riley Meredith, Josh Philippe, Daniel Sams, Kane Richardson, Steven Smith, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, Andrew Tye, Matthew Wade, David Warner, Adam Zampa

FFS how did Stoinis get a recall?
Good to see Meredith, Philippe & Sams get a chance.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:19 pm

D'Arcy Short flicked.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105898
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:58 pm

Presumably we’ll have the Test crossover players back in the fold for the Thrashes (perhaps minus Stokes).

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:42 am

Big Dog wrote:Australia's T20 and ODI squad for the ODI series in September: Aaron Finch (c), Sean Abbott, Ashton Agar, Alex Carey, Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Riley Meredith, Josh Philippe, Daniel Sams, Kane Richardson, Steven Smith, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, Andrew Tye, Matthew Wade, David Warner, Adam Zampa

FFS how did Stoinis get a recall?
Good to see Meredith, Philippe & Sams get a chance.

realistically who are our next so-called all-rounders after Stoinis and Mitch Marsh?
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 11961

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next