Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Usain Bolt

+33
Paul Keating
PlanetPakistan
Aberforth
spangler
Brass Monkey
Basil
DJ_Smerk
WideWally
holcs
bodyline
Hass
Josh Carney
Winkle Spinner
doremi
doctorspin
lardbucket
Merlin
Shoeshine
ten years after
buckSH
taipan
The One
skully
Henry
JGK
Zat
Bradman
G.Wood
beamer
Lara Lara Laughs
Chivalry Augustus
JKLever
37 posters

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Usain Bolt - Page 7 Empty Re: Usain Bolt

Post by DJ_Smerk Thu 20 Aug 2009, 20:01

vilkrang wrote:
DJ_Smerk wrote:F*ck me. Bolt is a machine. I didn't see the race, but 200m in 19.20 is SICK!
Get on the BBC site, they are still replaying it.

Bugger missed the highlights. I'll have to catch it on Youtube in the next half hour... Cool
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by holcs Thu 20 Aug 2009, 20:03

Shoeshine wrote:I think my reaction is best summed up Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I'd go more along these lines:

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop
holcs
holcs

Number of posts : 5481
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Aug 2009, 20:03

Shoeshine wrote:
vilkrang wrote:
Henry wrote:WOW.

Greatest athlete on the planet at the moment.
You mean ever.

I mean seriously, you have to bear in mind that Michael Johnson was in a completely different league to everyone at the time and any athlete around now, other than Bolt.

There is clear daylight between Michael Johnson and every other 200m runner ever other than Bolt. The fact there is now daylight between Bolt and Michael Johnson is just utterly ridiculous.

Ah well not really. It's never fair to compare people in different eras, you can only talk about who is utterly dominant in any given time. Otherwise you're saying that all the British 100m runners of today are better than Jesse Owens and that's palpable nonsense.
Really hate it when people say "it's never fair to compare people of different eras".

OBVIOUSLY it isn't as simple as "British 100m runners run faster than Jesse Owens so they are better", I'm not a f*cking idiot, but that doesn't mean that it's wrong to even debate it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 20 Aug 2009, 20:04

Did he run 19.19 or 19.20? I'm getting conflicting reports.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Aug 2009, 20:05

Incidentally the circumstances with Jesse Owens will never be replicated so it's impossible to know how athletes of today would respond.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Aug 2009, 20:06

19.19 Henry.

Back to top Go down

Post by holcs Thu 20 Aug 2009, 20:06

It was 19.20 as he crossed the line, but then they dropped it to 19.19 a few seconds later!
holcs
holcs

Number of posts : 5481
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Thu 20 Aug 2009, 20:07

vilkrang wrote:
Shoeshine wrote:
vilkrang wrote:

You mean ever.

I mean seriously, you have to bear in mind that Michael Johnson was in a completely different league to everyone at the time and any athlete around now, other than Bolt.

There is clear daylight between Michael Johnson and every other 200m runner ever other than Bolt. The fact there is now daylight between Bolt and Michael Johnson is just utterly ridiculous.

Ah well not really. It's never fair to compare people in different eras, you can only talk about who is utterly dominant in any given time. Otherwise you're saying that all the British 100m runners of today are better than Jesse Owens and that's palpable nonsense.
Really hate it when people say "it's never fair to compare people of different eras".

OBVIOUSLY it isn't as simple as "British 100m runners run faster than Jesse Owens so they are better", I'm not a f*cking idiot, but that doesn't mean that it's wrong to even debate it.

People say it because it's true. Yes, it's fun to debate it, but you can't ever come up with a meaningful answer except inasmuch as pub arguments are entertaining.

Shoeshine

Usain Bolt - Page 7 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4512
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu 20 Aug 2009, 20:07

This bloke is a phenomenon.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Thu 20 Aug 2009, 20:07

holcs wrote:
Shoeshine wrote:I think my reaction is best summed up Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I'd go more along these lines:

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop

Give you that one. aye-aye

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Aug 2009, 20:09

Shoeshine wrote:
vilkrang wrote:
Shoeshine wrote:
vilkrang wrote:

You mean ever.

People say it because it's true. Yes, it's fun to debate it, but you can't ever come up with a meaningful answer except inasmuch as pub arguments are entertaining.
It's not true, it's true that it's not an exact science, it's not true that it's impossible to debate it, unless your mind can't cope with something that isn't an exact science.

Last edited by vilkrang on Thu 20 Aug 2009, 20:09; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Thu 20 Aug 2009, 20:09

cheers afro applause jawdrop boozin

To Bolt! Cheers!
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Thu 20 Aug 2009, 20:13

vilkrang wrote:
Shoeshine wrote:
vilkrang wrote:
Shoeshine wrote:
vilkrang wrote:

You mean ever.

It's not true, it's true that it's not an exact science, it's not true that it's impossible to debate it, unless your mind can't cope with something that isn't an exact science.

No, I said it's true that it's not fair to compare people of different eras - though I agree it's a good pub debate. And it isn't - for the Jesse Owens reason. You can't say that Bolt is better than Carl Lewis; you can say he's faster than him, but Carl Lewis was a giant of his time. I do find it a bit hard to believe that had Lewis been born at the same time as Bolt, he'd be half a second behind him.

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 20 Aug 2009, 20:15

Greatest athlete/sportsman to ever come out of the Caribbean? I guess only Garry Sobers and Malcolm Marshall would be close.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Thu 20 Aug 2009, 20:17

Cool Runnings were pretty good.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Aug 2009, 20:18

Shoeshine wrote:
vilkrang wrote:
Shoeshine wrote:
vilkrang wrote:
Shoeshine wrote:
vilkrang wrote:

You mean ever.

No, I said it's true that it's not fair to compare people of different eras - though I agree it's a good pub debate. And it isn't - for the Jesse Owens reason. You can't say that Bolt is better than Carl Lewis; you can say he's faster than him, but Carl Lewis was a giant of his time. I do find it a bit hard to believe that had Lewis been born at the same time as Bolt, he'd be half a second behind him.
It's not fair to compare people of different eras purely due to the times and distances they post. You can compare their relative greatness on the other hand.

Carl Lewis certainly was a giant of his time but he didn't smash records by the same sort of distance that Bolt is doing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Aug 2009, 20:20

Incidentally I find it ironic that someone who likes to frequently get into debates is saying "you can't debate this" Laughing .

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Thu 20 Aug 2009, 20:26

vilkrang wrote:It's not fair to compare people of different eras purely due to the times and distances they post. You can compare their relative greatness on the other hand.

Carl Lewis certainly was a giant of his time but he didn't smash records by the same sort of distance that Bolt is doing.

Oh indeed. Relative greatness I have no problem with. In the case of Lewis, he also did the long jump of course, which is also an extraordinary achievement. And then you have the way Daley Thompson and Jurgen Hingsen pushed each other to extraordinary things, destroying any other competitor in the process. And Jonathan Edwards, of course. He even produced a wind assisted jump of 18.47 which is utterly incredible - because if you're talking relative terms, you can't take it back to zero, you have to use, say, 15m as your base.

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Thu 20 Aug 2009, 20:26

vilkrang wrote:Incidentally I find it ironic that someone who likes to frequently get into debates is saying "you can't debate this" Laughing .

boxer

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Aug 2009, 20:29

Yeah Jonathan Edwards was some what of a freak as well. Did he ever try the long jump?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Aug 2009, 20:32

I keep watching replays of this run. The most insane thing is that he seems to visibly slow up on the final straight, like he is tired.

Destroying world records when one is tired is rather a good effort.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Thu 20 Aug 2009, 20:35

vilkrang wrote:Yeah Jonathan Edwards was some what of a freak as well. Did he ever try the long jump?

Dunno. Triple jump is much more technical I suppose, so he may have gone for that because he wasn't that fast a runner.

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Thu 20 Aug 2009, 20:48

By the way - if you want a laugh, Youtube the Athens 4x100 relay and listen to the American commentatorys absolutely certain of their victory until about 50m from the line where they realise they've been beaten by the British. Laughing

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Aug 2009, 21:07

Replay for anyone that missed it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/8213036.stm

Back to top Go down