Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Usain Bolt

+33
Paul Keating
PlanetPakistan
Aberforth
spangler
Brass Monkey
Basil
DJ_Smerk
WideWally
holcs
bodyline
Hass
Josh Carney
Winkle Spinner
doremi
doctorspin
lardbucket
Merlin
Shoeshine
ten years after
buckSH
taipan
The One
skully
Henry
JGK
Zat
Bradman
G.Wood
beamer
Lara Lara Laughs
Chivalry Augustus
JKLever
37 posters

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Usain Bolt - Page 2 Empty Re: Usain Bolt

Post by 10940 Mon 17 Aug 2009, 07:32

Chivalry Augustus wrote:He seems to slow up so he can keep breaking the record, that's the amazing thing. Fair play to him - defies the textbook and is a great character. Amazing that Gay ran 9.71 which would win you just about every race ever before this one Very Happy. Even Asafa Powell was QUICK.

Whoosh!

I have yet to see him finish a race at full speed,when he first broke the world record I recorded it on DVD and he definately "shut off" six strides before the finish,no one seems to get within a metre of him in his races...Phenominal runner.

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-08-14
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 17 Aug 2009, 07:41

In this latest race he turns to look at the clock as he crosses the finish line. Probably cost him at least .10 of a second.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Mon 17 Aug 2009, 08:15

Bradman wrote:We'll never know apparently. I don't think there's sound in space.

you dont need to be in space. an aircraft should do

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Mon 17 Aug 2009, 08:31

Ah! Well were talking about freefalling from great heights. Though from Chuck Yeager's biography everyone on the ground heard it but he didn't.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 17 Aug 2009, 08:32

Bradman wrote:Ah! Well were talking about freefalling from great heights. Though from Chuck Yeager's biography everyone on the ground heard it but he didn't.
Clearly you can't if you are the one breaking it.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Mon 17 Aug 2009, 08:38

You know whether Bolt's juiced up or not. He's definately doing a Bubka and lowering this thing incrementally at the most opportune time.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by buckSH Mon 17 Aug 2009, 08:53

he just may be faster than me ..

buckSH

Number of posts : 3027
Registration date : 2009-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by ten years after Mon 17 Aug 2009, 11:33

Since the extremes referred to above required assistance from technology it's worth mentioning that a space walking astronaut in low earth orbit is travelling at about 8000 m/s. All who have down this so far have either been tethered or worn a rocket pack. Neither piece of equipment is used to significantly influence their speed however and the rocket pack is usually not operating.

176 people have done this.

ten years after

Number of posts : 1210
Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Mon 17 Aug 2009, 11:45

Que?
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by ten years after Mon 17 Aug 2009, 12:14

que? que?

ten years after

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Mon 17 Aug 2009, 12:23

Interesting that if you look at the records over the last hundred years, the reduction in the 100m record is more or less a straight line, around a tenth of a second every decade. Now, obviously that can't go on forever, but it is 40 years now since someone first went under 10 seconds.

You would really hope that Bolt is clean. It'd be shattering for the sport if he was found to be cheating.

Oh, and I think Jessica Ennis is quite cute actually.

Shoeshine

Usain Bolt - Page 2 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4512
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 17 Aug 2009, 12:25

Shoeshine wrote:

She was very impressive.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Mon 17 Aug 2009, 12:31

Shoeshine wrote:Interesting that if you look at the records over the last hundred years, the reduction in the 100m record is more or less a straight line, around a tenth of a second every decade. Now, obviously that can't go on forever, but it is 40 years now since someone first went under 10 seconds.

You would really hope that Bolt is clean. It'd be shattering for the sport if he was found to be cheating.

He's juiced up. Do we have to list the number of sprinters caught in the last twenty years? In fact some of them weren't caught they just rolled over.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Mon 17 Aug 2009, 12:34

Bradman wrote:
Shoeshine wrote:Interesting that if you look at the records over the last hundred years, the reduction in the 100m record is more or less a straight line, around a tenth of a second every decade. Now, obviously that can't go on forever, but it is 40 years now since someone first went under 10 seconds.

He's juiced up. Do we have to list the number of sprinters caught in the last twenty years? In fact some of them weren't caught they just rolled over.

Innocent till proven guilty etc.

It does happen where you get people who are just very, very good you know. He may be one of them. The best thing they've done in the last few years is to keep blood samples on file so that cheats can be caught ten years down the line. I'm not saying that he's definitely clean, I'm saying that I hope he is. But the sport is always going to have question marks over every and any exceptional performance.

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Mon 17 Aug 2009, 12:39

He's lowered a WR time by half a second in two years that various sprinters have lowered slowly over...I don't know forty, sixty. Didn't OJ run on a team where they thought he unofficially broke the WR.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Mon 17 Aug 2009, 12:52

ten years after wrote:Since the extremes referred to above required assistance from technology it's worth mentioning that a space walking astronaut in low earth orbit is travelling at about 8000 m/s. All who have down this so far have either been tethered or worn a rocket pack. Neither piece of equipment is used to significantly influence their speed however and the rocket pack is usually not operating.

travelling at 8000 m/s relative to what? they didnt start off at 0 at the start of the space walk did they?

in comparison arent we all on earth moving at a great speed if you take a point in space as our reference?

The One

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Mon 17 Aug 2009, 12:54

Sure. I'm not arguing the facts with you. But you do get freaks who perform stunning feats and break world records that then stand for ages. Seb Coe's 800m world record was so good it stood for 20 years. Bob Beamon's long jump likewise. Michael Johnson was an absolute freak of nature. As far as I'm aware, there was never a whisper about any of those. Bolt could well be clean, but it's only natural that people wonder about it when you get performance like that.

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Mon 17 Aug 2009, 12:58

Bradman wrote:He's lowered a WR time by half a second in two years that various sprinters have lowered slowly over...I don't know forty, sixty. Didn't OJ run on a team where they thought he unofficially broke the WR.

half a second? 9.74 to 9.58 aint half a second

The One

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 17 Aug 2009, 13:04

Whatever the arguments ... the guy's quick.
F**king quick.
Respect to da man.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by ten years after Mon 17 Aug 2009, 13:08

The One wrote:
ten years after wrote:Since the extremes referred to above required assistance from technology it's worth mentioning that a space walking astronaut in low earth orbit is travelling at about 8000 m/s. All who have down this so far have either been tethered or worn a rocket pack. Neither piece of equipment is used to significantly influence their speed however and the rocket pack is usually not operating.

travelling at 8000 m/s relative to what? they didnt start off at 0 at the start of the space walk did they?

in comparison arent we all on earth moving at a great speed if you take a point in space as our reference?

8000 m/s relative to the surface of the earth (same as Bolt or the skydivers mentioned earlier).

But you are right, they did not accelerate during the space walk whereas Bolt and skydivers do start from 0.

ten years after

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Mon 17 Aug 2009, 13:09

OK! I farked up. My point was the WR had been lowered slowly over time by .hundreths of a second. He lowers it twice by a tenth of a second both times. Plus I think 9.99 is actually legal.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Aug 2009, 13:12

There has to be something in those chicken nuggets...

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Mon 17 Aug 2009, 13:16

9.74 Asafa Powell Rieti, Italy September 9, 2007
9.72 Usain Bolt New York, USA May 31, 2008
9.69 Usain Bolt Beijing National Stadium, China August 16, 2008
9.58 Usain Bolt Berlin Olympic Stadium, Germany August 16, 2009

The One

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Mon 17 Aug 2009, 13:16

ten years after wrote:
The One wrote:

8000 m/s relative to the surface of the earth (same as Bolt or the skydivers mentioned earlier).

But you are right, they did not accelerate during the space walk whereas Bolt and skydivers do start from 0.

For some reason which is beyond my comprehension, you can apparently fall quicker from sub-orbit. It's not something recommended by your insurance company and it costs a fortune to do but you can do it.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Mon 17 Aug 2009, 13:16

Bradman wrote:OK! I farked up. My point was the WR had been lowered slowly over time by .hundreths of a second. He lowers it twice by a tenth of a second both times. Plus I think 9.99 is actually legal.

As I said, over the last century, the times have fallen in more or less a straight line. Looked at historically, it's nothing particularly unusual.

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next