Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Wimbledon Thread - anyone for tennis?

+33
tricycle
baggygreen
PlanetPakistan
Gary 111
Lara Lara Laughs
Red
LeFromage
Brass Monkey
bodyline
Yorkie Jill
WideWally
G.Wood
Hass
horace
Chivalry Augustus
Bradman
Paul Keating
JKLever
doremi
beamer
DJ_Smerk
Nath
Big Dog
eowyn
Henry
Fred Nerk
lardbucket
embee
skully
taipan
JGK
Zat
PeterCS
37 posters

Page 20 of 41 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 41  Next

Go down

The Wimbledon Thread - anyone for tennis? - Page 20 Empty Re: The Wimbledon Thread - anyone for tennis?

Post by lardbucket Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:20 am

PeterCS wrote:Good post.

(Unironic comment.)

It's the ironic ones you need to label.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38074
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

The Wimbledon Thread - anyone for tennis? - Page 20 Empty Re: The Wimbledon Thread - anyone for tennis?

Post by skully Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:56 am

Congrats to Bartoli, who played brilliantly to her strengths.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105897
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:04 am

And, based purely on the highlights reel, man, Del Potro can sure smash a forehand.

The Joker to disappoint the Pom crowd in the Final.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105897

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:20 am

Joker is home.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:23 am

Good man, JGK.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38074

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:52 pm

Wacky left-field observation: If Murali had copied Bartoli's serve action, he would have been considerably closer to 'bowling'.

All power to Bart. I remember her previous final appearance when Venus wiped the court with her, when her bobbing up and down between points like she had chronic St Vitus Dance made you want to remind her that yes, she was allowed to take a 'toilet break' if she had to, and no, it wasn't the Last Night of the bloody Proms. But she showed promise, and dare, in her semi acing Serena off her second serve three times in the last five minutes including on MP. Enough on its own to make her one to keep an eye on. But after six years she was now looking a bit like just another 'oncer'.

Let the women play five sets. That way the noise will have to a) find something else to whinge about, and b) watch nearly twice as much of the stuff.

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8807
Registration date : 2007-10-15
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:46 pm

murray to become the english champ the chumps have lacked for so long
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:50 pm

Looks like Murray's time might have come. Novak needs to be at his best in terms of his tennis and temperament to take Murray who looks ripe for the title.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:22 pm

lardbucket wrote:

(Unironic comment.)

Well, quite. That was the point of the brackets. But words fail me.

Last edited by PeterCS on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:23 pm

PeterCS wrote:
lardbucket wrote:

(Unironic comment.)

Well, quite. But words fail me.

Finally.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:39 pm

As ever, you first carry a chip on your shoulder and barge into me, demanding explanations from me.

And as ever, show you have misread the whole point of what I'd said (in this case, Gatland's previous strategic errors, and apparent tendency then to blame others) - whether your complete misunderstaning is just more of your general acid forum trolling, or arises from a pretty obtuse lack of imagination, I don't know.

And then as ever, - part 2 of your constant approach to me - you then jubilantly whinge and get snide about my clarification of your previous crass misunderstanding, and my demonstration of that very evidence you demanded.

You should work a North Korean propaganda station. Somewhere on the border. As a junior war propagandist with a lot to learn.

Or else work on building up a modicum of self-esteem, so that you don't need to throw your weight around so much, or cosy up to those who "agree with you".
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:54 pm

PeterCS wrote:As ever, you first carry a chip on your shoulder and barge into me, demanding explanations from me.

And as ever, show you have misread the whole point of what I'd said (in this case, Gatland's previous strategic errors, and apparent tendency then to blame others) - whether your complete misunderstaning is just more of your general acid forum trolling, or arises from a pretty obtuse lack of imagination, I don't know.

And then as ever, - part 2 of your constant approach to me - you then jubilantly whinge and get snide about my clarification of your previous crass misunderstanding, and my demonstration of that very evidence you demanded.

You should work a North Korean propaganda station. Somewhere on the border. As a junior war propagandist with a lot to learn.

Or else work on building up a modicum of self-esteem, so that you don't need to throw your weight around so much, or cosy up to those who "agree with you".

Do you have difficulty comprehending the written word or do you just like the sound of your voice so much you never hear what others are saying.

Once again, where did I demand an explanation from you or cosy up to those that agree with me?

The big problem is that you cannot accept anyone disagreeing with your views and your continual mode of defence is a torrent of verbiage hoping to bore everyone into submission.

You had and have no idea of what Gatland's strategic plan was. For some reason you seem to believe he changed the strategy for the third test whereas he employed the same strategy across all three tests. But with all honesty you are too ignorant of rugby to understand that.

But carry on pontificating, you seem to enjoy it.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:58 pm

I hate to say this, Peter but sometimes your so called "sticking up for women" posts do come across as patronising. Bartoli could only play the opposition she had in front of her each time and yesterday her opponent got a big dose of nerves and that can happen to anyone, male or female.

As for the point about men and women earning equal prize money, they should indeed play in the same conditions, ie in slams play over 5 sets.

I will also say that there are others on here who are more openly chauvinistic but they are either thick or trying to get a rise or a mixture of both. You seem to imply you are something better than that and that makes you worse.
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:03 pm

How about both of you sod off and have your handbag swinging session on some other thread nobody else is ever going to GAF about?

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:17 am

First set to Murray
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:21 am

And very convincingly everywhere but on the scoreboard....for the first time I can remember Murray is out-rallying Djoko, which hasn't happened any time they've met in Australia lately

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:27 am

Murray seems to be taking a bit of pace off.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:34 am

Normally Djoko is able to rush this guy - but not this time. Though I think he's lifting, and looking more likely to break in set 2.

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:39 am

Good call.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:24 am

Murray's to lose now.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:54 am

You just know Murray's going to choke from here.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:55 am

Murray choking?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:24 am

Arise Sir Andrew?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:30 am

That last game was unbelievable - 40-0, 3 match points, 2 break points... and finally he did it! Don't think I could have watched another couple of hours of that if Djokovic had pulled it back there... 3 sets was tough enough!

Fully deserved, the better player on the day. But you can never write off Djokovic, he takes some putting away. Chances are we will see many more Slam finals between these two.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:38 am

Wow. Just WOW! That last game was extraordinary. In fact, the way Murray came back in that third set having been a break down was pretty f*cking awesome. I actually had a tear in the eye FFS......
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 41 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 41  Next