Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Wimbledon Thread - anyone for tennis?

+33
tricycle
baggygreen
PlanetPakistan
Gary 111
Lara Lara Laughs
Red
LeFromage
Brass Monkey
bodyline
Yorkie Jill
WideWally
G.Wood
Hass
horace
Chivalry Augustus
Bradman
Paul Keating
JKLever
doremi
beamer
DJ_Smerk
Nath
Big Dog
eowyn
Henry
Fred Nerk
lardbucket
embee
skully
taipan
JGK
Zat
PeterCS
37 posters

Page 29 of 41 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 35 ... 41  Next

Go down

The Wimbledon Thread - anyone for tennis? - Page 29 Empty Re: The Wimbledon Thread - anyone for tennis?

Post by Henry Mon 06 Jul 2015, 14:54

Kygios out. He'll get hammered by the press after that second set display. Rightly so. Him and Tomic make Shane Watson look like Nelson Mandela in the heart stakes.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

The Wimbledon Thread - anyone for tennis? - Page 29 Empty Re: The Wimbledon Thread - anyone for tennis?

Post by Guest Mon 06 Jul 2015, 14:55

Thought the Frenchman would do his customary bottling it. He must be saving it for later in the tournament.

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Mon 06 Jul 2015, 15:44

Tough first set successfully negotiated by Murray...

If Karlovic had been around in the 90s, he would have made semis and finals at SW19 on a regular basis.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 06 Jul 2015, 16:10

beamer wrote:Tough first set successfully negotiated by Murray...

If Karlovic had been around in the 90s, he would have made semis and finals at SW19 on a regular basis.
He was, but under the name "Ivanisevic".

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 06 Jul 2015, 20:23

Really?

I seem to recall a few reasonable players in the 90s.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Mon 06 Jul 2015, 20:25

taipan wrote:

Really?

I don't mean because the standard was crap, I mean because the balls and grass courts were so fast in those days that someone with a serve like that would be close to unstoppable at Wimbledon. They slowed it down after all the Sampras borefests and now the top players are multi-surface all-rounders with nearly everything played from the baseline.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Mon 06 Jul 2015, 21:03

Joker gets it back to two sets all after being two sets down.

Cannot see him losing from here against the big serving South African.
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

The Wimbledon Thread - anyone for tennis? - Page 29 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4663
Registration date : 2007-10-25
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Mon 06 Jul 2015, 21:05

The break will give him more of a shot at it though, halting Djokovic's momentum and making it a one-set shoot-out with both players fresh to give it everything.

Hopefully another Anderson will be equally inspired this week...

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 06 Jul 2015, 21:09

beamer wrote:The break will give him more of a shot at it though, halting Djokovic's momentum and making it a one-set shoot-out with both players fresh to give it everything.

Hopefully another Anderson will be equally inspired this week...
y

The break will help Anderson more than Djokovic.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 06 Jul 2015, 21:15

beamer wrote:
taipan wrote:

Really?

I don't mean because the standard was crap, I mean because the balls and grass courts were so fast in those days that someone with a serve like that would be close to unstoppable at Wimbledon. They slowed it down after all the Sampras borefests and now the top players are multi-surface all-rounders with nearly everything played from the baseline.

Fair comment on slowing it down, but what to do about the French which is seriously a borefest.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Mon 06 Jul 2015, 22:12

Yeah, clay court tennis is pretty dull to watch most of the time. For most of the last decade we've known the result before it even starts in Paris, as well...

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 06 Jul 2015, 23:06

Paul Keating wrote:
Henry wrote:I'm watching Kyrgios basically not trying against Gasquet. What is he doing?

Having a hissy fit because the umpire gave him a warning.

He tanked the 2nd set. Deadset tanked it.

I remember a few years ago a player being  suspended for tanking a whole match.

Bigger farkwit than Warner.

Aye. Weak as.

Then had the hide to tell the press conference it "took balls" to do what he did out there. Quntiest Qunt since the last Qunty Qunt who ever Qunted up a tennis Qunt.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105981
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 06 Jul 2015, 23:10

What is it with Aussie tennis players and being qunts? Aussie sportsman, for that matter.....

It seems the Aussie tennis players are mollycoddled, told how wonderful they are, and have money thrown at them until they feel entitled to it, and it creates spoilt brats who think they are so much better than they really are.

More often than not at least one of the parents seems to have a screw loose, as well.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Mon 06 Jul 2015, 23:46

beamer wrote:Was thinking Gasquet must be about 35, he's only 29 in fact. Played his first Slam in 2002, though...

Were you thinking of a different Gallic G-Musketeer?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%A9bastien_Grosjean
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Mon 06 Jul 2015, 23:59

On the upside: still dazzled by FedEx after all these years.

A dancer's fast, exact footwork, anticipation, variety (esp the spins), strength and grace of movement with it. He makes it look so bloody easy, it's almost irritating.

Anno domini, and the superfitness & power of a Murray or Djokovic (I presume Djok will win out in the present battle, as he generally does), or else superpower serving, but most likely of all a drop-off in his own accuracy when he's really under pressure .... something will no doubt knock him out in the next couple of rounds.

And Gilles Simon - next up - is hot at the mo (FOHL?), so it might end there.

I see McEnroe says Roger plays the most beautiful tennis he's ever seen. And if you appreciate sheer athleticism, poise & strokeplay, I can't think of many rivals, if any.

If only he hadn't inflicted that white blazer on the world. And the excruciating shaving ads .... Wink
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 07 Jul 2015, 01:37

Aye.

I've been privileged to watch three sporting artistes play live in my life:

Federer
Warne
Messi

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Tue 07 Jul 2015, 02:33

Can't really watch tennis. One of the games I like playing but don't get into. A good doubles match maybe. Could be all the qunts but that'd rule out cricket. Davis Cup I suppose.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 07 Jul 2015, 03:02

Well it had to happen, didn't it. A former Australian sporting legend turns to blatant racism in regards to Kyrgios and Tomic- 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-07/wimbledon-2015-nick-kyrgios-labels-dawn-fraser-a-racist/6600824
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 07 Jul 2015, 03:04

Appalling comments from Fraser.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Tue 07 Jul 2015, 03:10

Over half the population were probably to afraid to say the same thing. I thought Tomic had croat heritage?
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 07 Jul 2015, 03:12

R
Bradman wrote:Over half the population were probably to afraid to say the same thing.  I thought Tomic had croat heritage?

So over half of the population of Australia are hypocritical? (As well as closet racists)
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Tue 07 Jul 2015, 03:15

Just stating facts here. You can read in their attitude to towards spoilt brats with dickhead dads what you want.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 07 Jul 2015, 03:16

Can't say "go back to where you came from" ever crossed my mind with Tomic or Kyrgios. They are a couple of spoilt Aussie brats who need their old mans to punch them in the qunt to learn them to show some class. Dawn farked up, but it's not the first time her inner bogan has been released.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105981
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Tue 07 Jul 2015, 04:02

So what happened (besides time and growing up) sometime since 1995 to turn Hewitt from an obnoxious little turd to what we're all calling him this week? The same needs to happen to Nick as a matter of some urgency. (It may already be too late for the other bloke, who seems destined to fairly soon end an absolutely unfulfilled career as Bernie the Comic.)

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8821
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Tue 07 Jul 2015, 04:05

Although obviously age, public eye experience and genuine legend status aren't 100% gaurantees against foot in mouth disease....

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8821
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 41 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 35 ... 41  Next