Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AFL 2021

+7
Big Dog
Bradman
skully
Blackadder
embee
Fred Nerk
Red
11 posters

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

AFL 2021 - Page 2 Empty Re: AFL 2021

Post by lardbucket Tue 09 Feb 2021, 07:14

Take care of your arse as you exit the door, Eddie. Avoid impact as it closes behind you.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38611
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

horace likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Tue 09 Feb 2021, 08:07

I suppose, as a club grand poo-bah it'd be damn hard to outrage anybody that badly who's ever supported a club which has had John Elliott in charge.

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8937
Registration date : 2007-10-15
Flag/Background : eng

horace likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Tue 09 Feb 2021, 08:13

And speaking of former 'leaders'/divisive influences within the AFL: could the Big A be looking at getting his namesake from Crown?

Among other things, Andrew and cohorts' performance was described as 'unedifying'

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Tue 09 Feb 2021, 09:14

Lamumba is a ******
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26318
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 09 Feb 2021, 09:54

embee wrote:Lamumba is a ******

He may well be but that is not the point. When he gets his day in court, MuckWire will need to be careful about perjury.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42595
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Tue 09 Feb 2021, 11:53

horace wrote:
Fred Nerk wrote:....And it's goodnight from him

Overall over 22 years, the man did a damn good job IMO

Curate's egg.

I listened to the presser. Listed his achievements, inc the ethnicity and gender of other Board members.

Took no responsibility whatsoever beyond not leading with the first para of his prepared statement last week. He should have gone over the Newman black face incident years ago.

Yep no doubt the Pies finances are better and they do many good things. Still McGuire has made a small fortune from parlaying his roles as Prez and in the media.

I expect the Supreme Court case will be interesting. He and Buckley will be called as witnesses. The CFC will be very keen to settle out of court. I doubt Lamumba is interested in that.

I doubt Adam Goodes had a schadenfreude moment listening (if he bothered). He is too nice a person.

Bucks spent eight hours face to face with Lumumba and they couldn't come to an agreement.

BTW H called Hawkins a foggot and when called out on this claimed he called him a fat prick.

Chris Egan another indigenous player bagged Eddie last week but McGuire paid his 25k toll fines.

The timing is right for Eddie to go, in fact it was some years ago but it's interesting how the media et al are only interested in negatives never the more redeeming aspects of someone's character.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17099
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Tue 09 Feb 2021, 11:58

Former long-time Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon said McGuire had made “far and away” the most important contribution to the game of any club president in the game’s history.

“In addition to that he’s always shown leadership to the competition as a whole,” he said.

“That leadership has been most evident to me when he took the noble step of agreeing to the competitive balance reforms of 2014, which led to the equal competition that Australian rules football is.

“It’s one thing for the president of a struggling club to advocate in our favour. It took someone of Eddie’s leadership, who was in the richer camp, to see the broader interest of the game.”

Gordon also lauded McGuire’s efforts to keep the 2020 AFL season on track despite the challenges posed by COVID-19, adding that he had done extensive work in the area of social inclusion.

“I’m proud to name him as a friend. I’m horrified by the way he’s been treated in the last two weeks. And it’s my hope that in time, history will describe him in the terms he deserves,” he said.

Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett described McGuire’s resignation as a “travesty of justice” and hoped that an ongoing role could be found for him in the game.

“He has been forced to resign because of a moment of time when two decades of community work support for the underprivileged and work within the Collingwood Football Club has been overlooked,” he said.

“There will be a lot of people tonight who will be asking themselves what is the cost of this attack on an individual who has for two decades served community in a way the vast majority could not even compare.”
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Tue 09 Feb 2021, 22:53

Jeff's rant should carry a rider at the bottom: 'Spoken on behalf of the Loud Mouthed Old Farts Union'. I notice Sam has inevitably thrown his very adjusted-for-inflation two cents worth in as well. Which must make Eddie feel like the kid who pinched a packet of PK from the 7-11 and next thing he knows Bernie Madof and Nick Leeson and the Great Bookie Robbers are rushing to his defence.

Peter Gordon's words at least sound sincere. (Yes I know he has made a living sounding that way for about 40 years.)

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sun 14 Feb 2021, 11:18

Karen Matthews,
|
February 14, 2021 12:00am

Eddie McGuire steps down as Collingwood president
McGuire’s resignation as president of Collingwood seemed inevitable following last week’s baffling press conference, which football pundits described as a “dumpster fire”.

WHETHER you like Eddie McGuire or not, whether you’re a Collingwood supporter or not, his forced exit from the club’s presidency this week, led by the unhinged ravings of race activists, was nothing short of disgraceful.

Not just because these people continue to get away with spewing hatred and division, but because so many others lack the courage to stand up to them.

It seems kowtowing to the unreasonable and often baseless claims and demands of this lot is far more preferable to copping an accusation of being racist.

How pathetic.

That Eddie McGuire has made more than his fair share of gaffes over the years is no secret.

After all, he’s human. We all are.

But the worst he did this time round, following the leaking of the ‘Do Better’ report, which stated it found systemic racism at Collingwood Football Club, was to say he was ‘proud’ of how the club had tackled the problem.

But as usual the idiot brigade took umbrage to the word ‘proud’.

It seems being proud of how your club deals with the serious issue of racism now also makes you racist.

Go figure that one.

To accuse McGuire of racism was not only unfounded but by all accounts couldn’t be further from the truth.

As for the so-called Do Better report, that in itself was a joke, prepared by two academic activists who would have come to the same conclusion had they been asked to conduct a race inquiry into a Methodist tea party.

So the results were not only predictable but should not have come as any great surprise to the club.

To top it off Greens Senator Lidia Thorpe went on ABC radio referring to McGuires emotional resignation as crying ‘white tears’.

And this is from a woman who spends most of her life cracking on about racism?

Give me a break!

Could you imagine the uproar had a white person mentioned ‘black tears’?

Ms Thorpe would have been jumping up and down in fury, followed closely no doubt by a flurry of grovelling apologies and resignations/ sackings, all in an effort to appease the unappeasable.

Now, I have no idea what went on behind the scenes at Collingwood, but the absolute gut kicking given to McGuire, who has arguably done more for that club and football in general than any other president in its history, should send a warning shot across our bow.

And it is this.

If we continue along the present path of giving more oxygen and allowing our lives to be dictated to, and let’s not forget the media plays a large part in this, by hate-filled far left activists with their insatiable appetite for disruption and division, we had better look out.

We have already become a society fearful of expressing our own thoughts and opinions.

Forced to tip toe round, to rethink before we utter so much as a syllable out of fear of saying something which may be perceived by someone as somehow being personally offensive to them.

Apologies mean nothing.

Instead expect to be publicly pilloried, shamed, career all but destroyed and all on the perceived assertions of a growing number of crazy radicals, who are divisive, dangerous and continue to get away with every ounce of venom they spew.

Make no mistake, these people are not interested in healing the divide, they are all about broadening the gap.

And if you do happen to fall into their trap don’t expect a fair trial.

McGuire didn’t get one so why should you.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Sun 14 Feb 2021, 14:57

Nice rant there Kaz - smart money says Sky have already been in touch.

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 14 Feb 2021, 18:34

Amazing insightless rant.

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Sun 14 Feb 2021, 19:20

Who is Karen Mathews?

Is this another Karen joke?
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Sun 14 Feb 2021, 20:03

Geelong Addy apparently*. Google her (I'll assume she's a real person and not a bot for the moment) and you'll see she covers most of the standard Alf Garnett whinges.

Fred Nerk

horace likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 14 Feb 2021, 20:13

Alf Garnett was a parody ... this woman unfortunately seems to believe the garbage she spouts.

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

horace likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Sun 14 Feb 2021, 21:46

She basically re-hashes Sam's spray-on outrage from the other day., except that Eddie gets a few more name-checks, suggesting that unlike Sam she did bother to put something on the bare banal cliché template they both worked off.

Fred Nerk

horace likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 19 Feb 2021, 20:56

Meanwhile here is Leon Davis recounting his time at Collingwood. It includes the racist crap he copped as an 18 year old and then the ostracism he faced when he complained.

LINK to Article
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Sat 20 Feb 2021, 23:56

Knew a few Aboriginals who'd been put in various systems some collingwood. Quite a few came home because of racism.

One even said he'd been called a qunt often playing in the top end, but never a black qunt. I told him he must have expected crap like that. His reply was , sure but not by my own teammates.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Sun 21 Feb 2021, 01:31

I went to school with Leon Davis' cousins

They are good people

embee
embee

Number of posts : 26318
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Sun 21 Feb 2021, 05:15

I was glad to see you guys clarify the Karen situation. Basicallyp how McGuire ha held down a radio gig is beyond me. May say something about his audience I suppose. Passionate advocate of free speech , but he kmust have shut down anti McGuire in his little part of radio land. He threw the glove down probably when Jamie lost his marbles and everyone was too scared to pick it up.
Well-done and vale in one case ad hon men. Just an outsiders view, the radio in my twenty year old ute is as busted arse as my oncologist says three or four important internal systems are. Thus a tape case full of Aussie pub rock from the seventies and eighties.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

horace likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sun 21 Feb 2021, 08:27

It is sad about Leon Davis, though interestingly he still loves the club. I sense that there were a couple of rat-pack members who were ignorant causing a bit of mayhem in the mid-noughties.

Indigenous players like Sharrod Wellingham claimed they were never subject to any racism though.

I feel sorry for the current players because they get tarred with the same brush, yet according to them, and recent first Australians like Daniel Wells and Travis Varcoe, there has been no hint of racism.

Let's not pretend that it doesn't happen at other clubs either.

The linking of racism in the report was from incidents in the past which were well documented already.

It was disingenuous to make a reference to Sid Jackson whose shameless actions impugned Lee Adamson's character. He placed playing in a GF as being more important than his own morality. Shame on the racism report for not recognising this.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Sun 21 Feb 2021, 10:25

Sorry but 'But Mummy, Johnny's being naughty too!' doesn't count for much any more. Neither does the Sharrod Wellingham/Eric Clapton 'But at least I didn't shoot the deputy' defence. And whoever dragged out Syd Jackson from the archives is straight-out having a lend - and Lee Adamson, in the name of full disclosure, was one of my teachers so yeah, I'm definitely one-eyed.

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sun 21 Feb 2021, 11:18

horace wrote:
Fred Nerk wrote:....And it's goodnight from him

Overall over 22 years, the man did a damn good job IMO

Curate's egg.

I listened to the presser. Listed his achievements, inc the ethnicity and gender of other Board members.

Took no responsibility whatsoever beyond not leading with the first para of his prepared statement last week. He should have gone over the Newman black face incident years ago.

Yep no doubt the Pies finances are better and they do many good things. Still McGuire has made a small fortune from parlaying his roles as Prez and in the media.

I expect the Supreme Court case will be interesting. He and Buckley will be called as witnesses. The CFC will be very keen to settle out of court. I doubt Lamumba is interested in that.

I doubt Adam Goodes had a schadenfreude moment listening (if he bothered). He is too nice a person.

H is an attention whore who is interested in keeping himself in the spotlight, even if he's shouting from LA.

Not sure what damages he thinks he will get when he left Collingwood on good terms and went to Melbourne only for his career to be derailed due to concussions and no doubt his slide was aided and abetted by the magic mushrooms he was feasting on. Will be interesting to see how the legal fraternity deals with the fact that he gave permission for Pendlebury to call him chimp. Am not condoning any racism which took place but there is a bit of revisionism which has gone with Harry/Heritier over the years.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Mon 01 Mar 2021, 19:17

Footy legend Royce Hart has been seriously injured in a head on smash in Hobart over the weekend.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Mon 01 Mar 2021, 23:57

His health had not been marvellous even before this happened. He was recovering from a stroke or heart attack, can't remember which, when he appeared on Open Mike around the time of Tom Hafey's demise.

None better in his position in my time. All the best Royce.

Fred Nerk

horace likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Tue 02 Mar 2021, 00:25

Incidentally my nomination of RDB as the oldest living Premiership captain following the death of the Weed is incorrect. Melbourne's John Beckwith, who was born in 1932, captained Ron and company in the 1957 team and was the next coach after Norm Smith, was and remains the holder of that honor. Weed and Ron were both born in the last week of Feb 1936.

Fred Nerk

horace likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next