Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who are world cricket's current GREAT players?

+34
LeFromage
baggygreen
MrPrez
philcric
tac
HH_pink
holcs
Merlin
*Buckaroo*
SG
Ash
Aberforth
Don't quote me
horace
Mick Sawyer
Hass
furriner
spangler
JKLever
Brass Monkey
skully
taipan
OP Tipping
PeterCS
Batman
The One
Paul Keating
Chivalry Augustus
lardbucket
Red
Invader Zim
JGK
doremi
Henry
38 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Who are world cricket's current GREAT players? - Page 5 Empty Re: Who are world cricket's current GREAT players?

Post by skully Tue 31 Mar 2009, 11:48

Nah, GG and DH were the epitome of the perfect opening partnership.

Last edited by skully on Tue 31 Mar 2009, 11:49; edited 1 time in total
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105971
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Who are world cricket's current GREAT players? - Page 5 Empty Re: Who are world cricket's current GREAT players?

Post by The One Tue 31 Mar 2009, 11:49

greenidge could hammer, but was haynes a better basher than gayle?

s/r is one of the most important factors in an all-time xi, though admittedly not very reliable for the early days. still, i dont remember haynes having a reputation for murdering attacks, unlike greenidge

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Tue 31 Mar 2009, 11:52

Aberforth wrote:
Hooper over Gayle?

What is the rationale behind that selection?

FWIW - I like Gayle, one of my favourite players. I just don't consider him to be as good as you think he is. I love watching him smash sixes.

Hooper was considered one of the best ODI spinners in the early 90s. He is very economical. And bowled at the death a lot.

Plus he is the best fieldsmen I have seen on any part of the ground.

And he can adapt his batting to the situation of the game, something I feel Gayle cannot do. Hooper is a must have in an ODI team.
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Who are world cricket's current GREAT players? - Page 5 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4663
Registration date : 2007-10-25
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 31 Mar 2009, 11:53

Paul Keating wrote:I'd go with Harper as 12th man. Who is a better fielder.

Also Sarwan might come in for GG, and push Lara up to opener. Haynes is a must.

Derr... yes Harper for 12th.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 31 Mar 2009, 11:54

GG and DH proved their greatness over many years. They are the greatest Test and ODI opening partnership.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 31 Mar 2009, 11:55

skully wrote:Malcolm Marshall for Roberts. Marshall was the best of all the Windies quicks in the 80s.

I had Marshall originally but his JAMODI record was substantially inferior to Roberts'. I know that isn't everything and as I say, the team wouldn't be weakened by Maco being in there.

In Tests of course Marshall would be the first bowler chosen.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 31 Mar 2009, 11:56

skully wrote:GG and DH proved their greatness over many years. They are the greatest Test and ODI opening partnership.

Well, for Tests I'd go with Hobbs and Sutcliffe and no doubt some subis will push the SRT-Gangles opening partnership. Gilly and Junior might give them a run too.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Tue 31 Mar 2009, 12:06

Sohail Anwar
Jaya and Kalu

SRT and Gangers is a pretty damn good combination

Remember Marsh and Taylor in ODIs. Fark there are some things you wish you'd forget.
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Who are world cricket's current GREAT players? - Page 5 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4663
Registration date : 2007-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 31 Mar 2009, 12:24

How many times did SRT and Gangles open against us? Their records were carved out on subi roads against robot opposition in mindnumbingly over-exposed JAMODIs in subitown.

AFAIC, GG and DH did it in all conditions, all over the world. Jaya and Kalu were revolutionary but only a fleeting combination.

Overall, Gilly and MEW were possibly close to 2nd best after GG/DH.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 31 Mar 2009, 12:36

Agree there with you skully.

H&S for the Test partnership with consumate ease.

Hayden and Langer maybe next, alongside G&H and maybe Morris/Simpson?
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 31 Mar 2009, 12:41

maybe Fredericks for Haynes, for me, in ODIs

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38112
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Tue 31 Mar 2009, 14:27

srt-scg the best opening combo in odis

hobbs-sutcliffe in tests

The One

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Tue 31 Mar 2009, 17:03

skully wrote:How many times did SRT and Gangles open against us? Their records were carved out on subi roads against robot opposition in mindnumbingly over-exposed JAMODIs in subitown.

AFAIC, GG and DH did it in all conditions, all over the world. Jaya and Kalu were revolutionary but only a fleeting combination.

Oh bullshit.

They opened 21 times against Aus, at an average of about 40. The same as GG and DH against a much much better Aussie side.

In only matches in SA, Australia, NZ and England, they average just a little bit more than GG & DH, so that's the other theory of "records carved in subi roads" blown out of the water again. Added to that GG&DH played in a champion team, SRT&SCG was just about all India had most times except for rear-guard from Jadeja for most of the time they opened.

Honestly, right here you and BM really don't have a clue. No other opening pair even comes close.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by holcs Tue 31 Mar 2009, 17:20

I got to page 4 and couldn't be bothered anymore.

These guys are ATG's

You could add from the current crop still playing.

SRT
Ponting

Kallis - All-rounder

Potentials:

Smith
Steyn
KP

The rest of the current lot are good, but will never be ATG's.
holcs
holcs

Number of posts : 5481

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Tue 31 Mar 2009, 19:53

doremi wrote:
skully wrote:How many times did SRT and Gangles open against us? Their records were carved out on subi roads against robot opposition in mindnumbingly over-exposed JAMODIs in subitown.

Oh bullshit.

They opened 21 times against Aus, at an average of about 40. The same as GG and DH against a much much better Aussie side.

In only matches in SA, Australia, NZ and England, they average just a little bit more than GG & DH, so that's the other theory of "records carved in subi roads" blown out of the water again. Added to that GG&DH played in a champion team, SRT&SCG was just about all India had most times except for rear-guard from Jadeja for most of the time they opened.

Honestly, right here you and BM really don't have a clue. No other opening pair even comes close.

aye aye. they own just about every record in the book.
Ash
Ash

Who are world cricket's current GREAT players? - Page 5 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2000
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Aberforth Wed 01 Apr 2009, 00:55

Paul Keating wrote:
Aberforth wrote:
Hooper over Gayle?

What is the rationale behind that selection?

FWIW - I like Gayle, one of my favourite players. I just don't consider him to be as good as you think he is. I love watching him smash sixes.

Hooper was considered one of the best ODI spinners in the early 90s. He is very economical. And bowled at the death a lot.

Plus he is the best fieldsmen I have seen on any part of the ground.

And he can adapt his batting to the situation of the game, something I feel Gayle cannot do. Hooper is a must have in an ODI team.

Let's compare Hooper stats with Gayle

Gayle has scored 7259 avg 40.55 from 193 innings with 19 centuries and 38 half centuries

Hooper has scored 5761 runs avg 35.34 from 206 innings with 7 centuries and 29 half centuries

Gayle wins hands down no contest.

Bowling stats

Gayle has taken 151 wickets avg 33.46 runs per wicket with an economy rate of 4.72 RPO with 1 five wicket haul and 3 four wicket hauls with a strike rate of 42.4

Hooper has taken 193 wickets average 36.05 runs per wicket and an economy rate of 4.36 RPO with 3 four wicket haul and no five wicket haul with a strike rate of 49.6

Gayle has also been entrusted by Lara on many occasions to bowl the final over of matches and was for a period one of the best death bowlers in world cricket.

The fact is though Hooper is simply not in Gayle's class

Aberforth

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed 01 Apr 2009, 03:32

Gayle has scored 7259 avg 40.55 from 193 innings with 19 centuries and 38 half centuries

Hooper has scored 5761 runs avg 35.34 from 206 innings with 7 centuries and 29 half centuries

Gayle wins hands down no contest.

One is an opener, the other a middle order player. One is playing in the days of 20 over fielding restictions and in roped off field, the other debuted in an era when 225 was a winning score.

Without Strike rate details I don't think these stats necessarily favour Gayle at all.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed 01 Apr 2009, 03:33

doremi wrote:

Oh bullshit.

Gilchrist/ Waugh > Ganguly/ SRT

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Wed 01 Apr 2009, 03:58

You're kidding me.
HH_pink
HH_pink

Who are world cricket's current GREAT players? - Page 5 APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3353

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Wed 01 Apr 2009, 04:11

JGK wrote:Gilchrist/ Waugh > Ganguly/ SRT

lol!

gilchrist/waugh is probably not even australia's best opening combo, let alone world all-time

The One

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed 01 Apr 2009, 04:15

SRT>Gilly>Waugh>>>Ganguly

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Wed 01 Apr 2009, 04:19

srt>gilly

ganguly>waugh

The One

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Wed 01 Apr 2009, 04:37

In ODIs, ganguly definitely > waughjr!
HH_pink
HH_pink

Who are world cricket's current GREAT players? - Page 5 APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3353

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Wed 01 Apr 2009, 05:15

Mark Waugh a better ODI bat than Ganguly?

You got to be kidding!!!Very Happy Right?

And Gilly/Mark Waugh a better opening combo than Tendulkar/Ganguly!!!

Gimme a break.

SG

Number of posts : 12806
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Wed 01 Apr 2009, 05:18

Their records were carved out on subi roads against robot opposition in mindnumbingly over-exposed JAMODIs in subitown.
What a blatantly wrong comment!!!

As if Aus pitches have been any lesser roads.

SG

Number of posts : 12806
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next