Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your favourite sporting pictures...

+21
freddled gruntbuggly
Zat
PlanetPakistan
Allan D
Ash
spangler
NottsFan
The One
Gary 111
DJ_Smerk
Naeem
Chivalry Augustus
Big_Bad_Bob
taipan
PeterCS
Geoffrey Trueman
PearlJ
skully
JGK
Makaveli
JKLever
25 posters

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Your favourite sporting pictures... - Page 6 Empty Re: Your favourite sporting pictures...

Post by Allan D Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:41 am

Gary 111 wrote:Can anyone name all the players - I think the keeper in Knott, the rotund chap at slip is Cowdrey, the bowler Underwood, John Snow is the closest fielder on the leg side and I think thats John Edrich square on the offside. Is it Illingworth stood in front of Edrich?

It's the last ball of the Oval Test v. Australia in 1968 which England won in the last over by 226 runs to square the series. The batsman being given out by umpire Charlie Elliot is Inverarity (for 56, having batted through the innings), the bowler is Underwood, the non-striker is Alan Connolly, the fielder crouched in a running stance on the extreme left is Ray Illingworth, Tom Graveney is standing at 2nd slip with John Edrich in front of him and Ted Dexter (in his last Test appearance) in front of Edrich, Cowdrey (in his last domestic Test as captain), with arms upraised is at 1st slip, Knott is keeping wicket.

On the legside John Snow is appealing directly to the umpire, his bowling partner, David Brown, is behind him with arm upraised, Olly Milburn is at short square and behind him is Basil D'Oliveira, recalled for this match (after being dropped from the 1st Test after scoring 87* in England's 2nd innings) because of the withdrawal from the originally named squad of Roger Prideaux due to injury.

The omission of D'Oliveira from the touring party to South Africa that winter (and his later inclusion after Tom Cartwright dropped out) after he had scored a chanceless 158 in England's 1st innings (along with Edrich's 164) and broken a stubborn partnership between Inverarity and Jarman that threatened to deny England victory only half an hour before this photograph was taken triggered the so-called "D'Oliveira Affair".
Allan D
Allan D

Number of posts : 6635
Registration date : 2007-09-01
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Your favourite sporting pictures... - Page 6 Empty Re: Your favourite sporting pictures...

Post by Allan D Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:50 am

Big_Bad_Bob wrote:
JKLever wrote:
Gary 111 wrote:This one is quite iconic

Your favourite sporting pictures... - Page 6 F_Underwoodm_6e0030e

Perhaps could do with an extra couple of close fielders in there though...

Wonder where the 11th fielder was?

Surely rather than fending it off the best tactic would have been to meet the ball on the full

From left-to-right, I'd say the England players are: -

Illingworth
Graveney
Edrich
Dexter
Cowdrey
Underwood
Knott
Snow
Brown
Milburn
D'Oliveiria

Cool

So would I. Smile Name the six England captains, past, present and future in the picture.
Allan D
Allan D

Back to top Go down

Post by Big_Bad_Bob Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:56 am

Illingworth
Graveney
Edrich
Dexter
Cowdrey

You've got me on the 6th.
Big_Bad_Bob
Big_Bad_Bob

Your favourite sporting pictures... - Page 6 ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3718
Registration date : 2007-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:02 am

Illingworth, Graveney, Dexter and Cowdrey are the easy ones.

I presume the others were more ceremonial. Edrich and D'Olly?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Allan D Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:11 am

Big_Bad_Bob wrote:Illingworth
Graveney
Edrich
Dexter
Cowdrey

All right so far, BBB. a bit of a trick,I must admit. Think of ODIs not Tests. Interesting to note that all the Test captains are standing together on the offside, the non-Test captains are all standing on the legside. The ODi captain I'm looking for is in the middle.
Allan D
Allan D

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:11 am

This idiot after he dismissed Fleming with the most "barbaric" ball that i have ever been

Your favourite sporting pictures... - Page 6 JUMPP25
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:13 am

Legends- arguably the 2 greatest players ever

Your favourite sporting pictures... - Page 6 Jansher-8
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Back to top Go down

Post by Big_Bad_Bob Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:15 am

Allan D wrote:
Graveney
Edrich
Dexter
Cowdrey

All right so far, BBB. a bit of a trick,I must admit. Think of ODIs not Tests. Interesting to note that all the Test captains are standing together on the offside, the non-Test captains are all standing on the legside. The ODi captain I'm looking for is in the middle.

Knotty?
Big_Bad_Bob
Big_Bad_Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Big_Bad_Bob Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:16 am

PlanetPakistan wrote:Legends- arguably the 2 greatest players ever

Your favourite sporting pictures... - Page 6 Jansher-8

Meh - may as well watch monkey tennis.
Big_Bad_Bob
Big_Bad_Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Geoffrey Trueman Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:24 am

PlanetPakistan wrote:This idiot after he dismissed Fleming with the most "barbaric" ball that i have ever been

Wow, I'm impressed, what else have you been?
Geoffrey Trueman
Geoffrey Trueman

Number of posts : 979
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:27 am

This one's my favourite, because I was there, I took it, and I have a poster-sized version of it at home, with TGM's autograph to boot.
Your favourite sporting pictures... - Page 6 Warne710

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Big_Bad_Bob Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:32 am

I reckon you must have been in the block directly below me, Zat. Apart from the elevation that's pretty much the view I had of it.

Special moment. Twas a privilege to be there despite everything.
Big_Bad_Bob
Big_Bad_Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Allan D Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:34 am

Big_Bad_Bob wrote:
Allan D wrote:
Graveney
Edrich
Dexter
Cowdrey

Knotty?

Yep, skippered one ODI against the Windies at Scarborough in 1976 as a stand-in for Tony Greig which also marked the international debut of I.T.Botham. Apart from the regular England captains, Cowdrey (1959-69), Dexter (1961-4) and Illingworth (1969-73), Graveney had stood in at Headingley in the Test before this when Cowdrey had been injured and Edrich captained in the 3rd Test at SCG at the beginning of 1975 when Denness dropped himself (he had also taken over as acting skipper in the closing stages of the Oval Test against Oz in 1972 after Illingworth sprained his ankle).
Allan D
Allan D

Back to top Go down

Post by Allan D Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:35 am

Another iconic image from the Oval Ashes Test of 1964:

Your favourite sporting pictures... - Page 6 F_fredTruemanm_79ab2f8
Allan D
Allan D

Back to top Go down

Post by Big_Bad_Bob Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:37 am

Fiery's 300th. boozin
Big_Bad_Bob
Big_Bad_Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:38 am

Big_Bad_Bob wrote:I reckon you must have been in the block directly below me, Zat. Apart from the elevation that's pretty much the view I had of it.

Indeed it was Bob.

Day 3 was more fun, given the Forum6 got together that day, but Boxing Day was truly special. Even though it was freezing. And I was hungover.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Big_Bad_Bob Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:46 am

Zat wrote:
Big_Bad_Bob wrote:I reckon you must have been in the block directly below me, Zat. Apart from the elevation that's pretty much the view I had of it.

Indeed it was Bob.

Day 3 was more fun, given the Forum6 got together that day, but Boxing Day was truly special. Even though it was freezing. And I was hungover.

Aye - gee-whizz it was cold.

Coldest I've ever been sat watching a game of cricket.

The queues at the tea bars were 5 to 10 times the length of those selling a drop of the harder stuff.

Day 2 was a bit more warmer, though not a lot.

Day 3 was a perfect day for watching cricket, shame that most of the England batsmen had the same idea and couldn't wait to get back to the dressing room as the game raced towards its conclusion. Best part of the day was getting myself in with the Barmy Army for the conclusion of the game and having to be moved along by the exasperated Melbourne police desperate to get home to their families a good hour after the game had concluded!

Fatalistic, bloody minded support and gallows humour at its best. Good times in its own perverse way.
Big_Bad_Bob
Big_Bad_Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:51 am

The highlight of Day 3 came as the forumers wound their way towards the CBD and a cab pulled up with Athers in the passenger seat, with the fatal error of having the window down a little bit. Embee started talking to him, and asked him if Athers was planning a comeback with McGrath retiring. Priceless.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Allan D Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:55 am

Big_Bad_Bob wrote:Fiery's 300th. boozin

Indeed, who was the batsman?
Allan D
Allan D

Back to top Go down

Post by Big_Bad_Bob Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:58 am

Allan D wrote:

I ought to know, but would have to Google it.
Big_Bad_Bob
Big_Bad_Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:21 am

Allan D wrote:

Neil Hawke wasn't it?

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:28 am

Big_Bad_Bob wrote:
JGK wrote:
Big_Bad_Bob wrote:[img]Your favourite sporting pictures... - Page 6 Forest-Relegated[/img]

Shit - I spent about half an hour yesterday looking for that photo. I seem to recall it being more of a close up.

It's a great photo - beautifully captures the agony of being a sports fan.

Sit closer to the screen?

Wink

Agreed BTW - and not just because of the subject matter . . . positively dripping with emotion.

I suspect that if you had taken a pic of the first row of the top deck of the Sydney Olympic Stadium when Wilikinson made THAT drop goal you would have seen me in a similar position to the guy 3 from the right at the top.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlJ Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:48 am

Zat wrote:This one's my favourite, because I was there, I took it, and I have a poster-sized version of it at home, with TGM's autograph to boot.
Your favourite sporting pictures... - Page 6 Warne710

Hahahahaha! I'm in that pic!
PearlJ
PearlJ

Number of posts : 3599
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:38 am

You're the nazi attendant who everyone shouts 'you are a w*nker' to aren't you?
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:52 pm

Geoffrey Trueman wrote:
PlanetPakistan wrote:This idiot after he dismissed Fleming with the most "barbaric" ball that i have ever been

Wow, I'm impressed, what else have you been?
don't think you would want to know....
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next