Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why is "racist" such a hurtful insult?

+25
DJ_Smerk
Gary 111
krikri
Makaveli
footwork
doremi
eowyn
Growler
JKLever
Basil
Jontyh
Brass Monkey
buckSH
PlanetPakistan
furriner
embee
PeterCS
CT
Zat
tac
LeFromage
Eric Air Emu
Merlin
Shoeshine
skully
29 posters

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Why is "racist" such a hurtful insult? Empty Why is "racist" such a hurtful insult?

Post by skully Mon 25 Jan 2010, 19:13

When things are quiet in here you can always rely on some racist barbs or "you are a racist" barbs to get the joint hopping.

I think everyone has some degree of racism in them. Whether it be a simple stand-offishness towards someone who looks a little different, to outright distain for the views of another race or religion.

In this place racism and racist accusations get trotted out way too often, but I am the last to suggest that we censor such chat. It, afterall, does makes this place hum.

My personal opinion is that race means nothing. I have worked and played (cricket) with races of all walks and colours. I have generally found all varieties of the racial rainbow reasonable and personable people, and in the main, great folk. Particularly if the common love is cricket. I have many friends and colleagues of cricket-playing national heritage.

Since 911, the major problem in Aus has been the isolationist attitude of Muslims. Again I know many Muslims and they are generally gentle, kind and harmless souls. But it is the radical minority of this walk of life that seems hell bent on stirring up "racial" hatred in my and many other countries. We forever see reports of police clashes with violent muslim youths here in Aus. We have also seen, recently, a surge in the unfortunate (and sometimes coincidental) violent activity towards a particular race of people.

99.99% of the population does not condone such behaviour but the 0.01% is enough to convince many from the affected nation to think that a whole nation fits the stereotype. This is complete nonsense and deeply offensive to the vast majority of fair-minded people.

So this is my small and insignificant attempt to put racism v radical religious minority/idiotic minority racist hoon behaviour into perspective.

Today is Ausralia Day. I wish all my fellow Australians (as well as all others looking in), from whichever race or religion, a peaceful, enjoyable and fun day.

Over to you, bucks.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105943
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Why is "racist" such a hurtful insult? Empty Re: Why is "racist" such a hurtful insult?

Post by Shoeshine Mon 25 Jan 2010, 19:14

suicide

Shoeshine

Why is "racist" such a hurtful insult? Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4512
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Why is "racist" such a hurtful insult? Empty Re: Why is "racist" such a hurtful insult?

Post by Merlin Mon 25 Jan 2010, 19:30

You topped yourself because it's Australia Day?! Shocked

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Air Emu Mon 25 Jan 2010, 19:31

Honestly speaking I like to think I've got that whole its' black, it's white, it's WB yeaaah thing sorted out. Although being English I can't help but sometimes snear at other cultures & societies - you don't mean to and you know it's wrong but it's hard to get out of your collective national genetic memory. Then I remember we're the country that begat Jeremy Clarkson and I realise that we're all in the same sea of appauling c*ntedness.

I have to say though that being a snearing Guardian reading liberal I do put everyone with strong religious convictions in the special nutty draw.
Eric Air Emu
Eric Air Emu

Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 25 Jan 2010, 19:34

Eric Air Emu wrote:

I have to say though that being a snearing Grauniad reading liberal I do put everyone with strong religious convictions myself in the special nutty draw.

Fixed.
Jeremy Clarkson Rules.

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Air Emu Mon 25 Jan 2010, 19:39

To answer the question- I think it implies not being sophisticated enough to realise the complexities of human race and being motivated by hatred, ignorance and insecurity. Of course the term is bandied around too freely- there's a big difference between say Nick Griffin and some well lubricated un-pc Aussie cricket fans.

And of course even if only on an instinctive rather than intellectual level we're all a tiny bit racist.
Eric Air Emu
Eric Air Emu

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Air Emu Mon 25 Jan 2010, 19:43

Merlin wrote:
Eric Air Emu wrote:

I have to say though that being a snearing Grauniad reading liberal I do put everyone with strong religious convictions myself in the special nutty draw.

Fixed.
Jeremy Clarkson Rules.

And hence I despair.
Eric Air Emu
Eric Air Emu

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 25 Jan 2010, 19:52

Very Happy
Okay ..okay ...
Jeremy Clarkson doesn't rule.
But the Boy David soon will be!

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Mon 25 Jan 2010, 20:21

Eric Air Emu wrote:

I have to say though that being a snearing Guardian reading liberal I do put everyone with strong religious convictions in the special nutty draw.

But that has nothing to do with race, so quite why skully lumped it in with his post is a mystery.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Jan 2010, 20:42

Eric Air Emu wrote:
Merlin wrote:
Eric Air Emu wrote:

Fixed.
Jeremy Clarkson Rules.

And hence I despair.

I quite like Jezza. Since he became a father, the crashing boorishness and arrogance of his youth is just his TV schtik. IMO. He can be quite humble at times. He has made some really thoughtful docus, such as the one about Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 25 Jan 2010, 22:05

Can we really be driven by racism when there is no such thing as race? Xenophobia is a natural urge toward protection of the community, but it's offset against xenophilia . . the desire to fark people from outside the community . . . understand these natural forces and we're half way to overcoming them . . . here endeth the lesson
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 25 Jan 2010, 22:11

Dello wrote:
Eric Air Emu wrote:

But that has nothing to do with race, so quite why skully lumped it in with his post is a mystery.
Merely because a handful of roobs in my community mix the two up. One nationality or race in particular in Aus is very strident in their religious beliefs and it has been the cause of some conflict in the past.

And no, I'm not talking about Banindians. Cool

Last edited by skully on Mon 25 Jan 2010, 22:12; edited 1 time in total
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 25 Jan 2010, 22:11

tac wrote:Can we really be driven by racism when there is no such thing as race? Xenophobia is a natural urge toward protection of the community, but it's offset against xenophilia . . the desire to fark people from outside the community . . . understand these natural forces and we're half way to overcoming them . . . here endeth the lesson
Prolly a fair call, ol' bean.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 25 Jan 2010, 22:15

skully . . . . my xenophilia has always been much stronger than my xenophobia . . . especially with hot young japnese and korea chicks . . . . thank god!!!!
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 25 Jan 2010, 22:19

applause
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 25 Jan 2010, 23:20

'Why is "racist" such a hurtful insult?'

Because when it's first used in an argument, it's usually the last resort of someone for whom intellect and rational argument have failed. And once that card has been played, it opens a whole new dimension of argument.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 25 Jan 2010, 23:21

Zat wrote:'Why is "racist" such a hurtful insult?'

Because when it's first used in an argument, it's usually the last resort of someone for whom intellect and rational argument have failed. And once that card has been played, it opens a whole new dimension of argument.

Like AD playing his Nazi card . . .
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Mon 25 Jan 2010, 23:21

Unless they are racist of course. Wink

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 25 Jan 2010, 23:25

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 25 Jan 2010, 23:29

My fav Hitler . . .

tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Mon 25 Jan 2010, 23:34

Nah. John O'Neil's reaction to Britain beating Australia in the Olympics was best.

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 25 Jan 2010, 23:36

ummm . . .. yeah . . . . whatever
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Mon 25 Jan 2010, 23:43

Laughing

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Tue 26 Jan 2010, 00:31

Jeez, four countries band together and scrape ast one nation with around a third of the population. Summat to be proud of. Very Happy

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Tue 26 Jan 2010, 00:33

Of course. Let's face it, if it wasn't for sport, no-one would know Australia was even there. It's the only reason the world notices you - and then you lost to us! Very Happy

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next