Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why is "racist" such a hurtful insult?

+25
DJ_Smerk
Gary 111
krikri
Makaveli
footwork
doremi
eowyn
Growler
JKLever
Basil
Jontyh
Brass Monkey
buckSH
PlanetPakistan
furriner
embee
PeterCS
CT
Zat
tac
LeFromage
Eric Air Emu
Merlin
Shoeshine
skully
29 posters

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Why is "racist" such a hurtful insult? - Page 12 Empty Re: Why is "racist" such a hurtful insult?

Post by Zat Wed 27 Jan 2010, 05:15

DJ_Smerk wrote:But underneath, aren't we all the same?
Can I nominate you, Trev, and Bucky to have autopsies so we can find out?

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Why is "racist" such a hurtful insult? - Page 12 Empty Re: Why is "racist" such a hurtful insult?

Post by DJ_Smerk Wed 27 Jan 2010, 05:15

I have a doctors note.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Wed 27 Jan 2010, 05:16

Your crude crayon-etched forgery won't count.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Wed 27 Jan 2010, 05:16

But that's how I always right.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Wed 27 Jan 2010, 05:17

Zat wrote:And 'We Are Racist' wouldn't have sold as many copies..

except in Mumbai
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Wed 27 Jan 2010, 05:18

G.Wood wrote:
Zat wrote:And 'We Are Racist' wouldn't have sold as many copies..

except in Mumbai
And some suburbs of Perth.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Wed 27 Jan 2010, 08:19

G.Wood wrote:I admire shoey's religious fervour

oh hang on

I think he may be Merlin's love child

Oi Gwood - bugger off!
I absolutely deny any involvement with Shoey's Mum ... ever.
Furthermore, I have now instructed my lawyers to act immediately to quash such irreligious rumours.
Finally, I strongly suggest you wear a box whilst keeping a close watch out for a hoodie wielding two bricks ...

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 27 Jan 2010, 08:22

A white hoodie?
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105986
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Wed 27 Jan 2010, 08:23

Zimi's moonlighting?

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 27 Jan 2010, 08:23

Snap. Cool
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Wed 27 Jan 2010, 08:24

skully wrote:A white hoodie?

No.
Zim offered to blacken up so as to authenticate the 'surprise' factor!

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 27 Jan 2010, 08:25

They're drinkin' buddies. Woody would smell him a mile off.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Wed 27 Jan 2010, 08:31

skully wrote:They're drinkin' buddies. Woody would smell him a mile off.

Is that the normal form of recognition in Wozzieland?
I'd imagine that must be the case as you can't see much through the eyehole (as opposed to the other hole) slits cut into the hoodie

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 27 Jan 2010, 08:40

Sound logic. columbo sherlock
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 27 Jan 2010, 10:30

Henry wrote:Aussie in 'what's wrong with racists?' shocker........

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Says the Aussie racist! Razz
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Jontyh Wed 27 Jan 2010, 11:10

tac wrote:
Shoeshine wrote:Still no evidence to provide Tac? This is extremely straightforward. You are asserting the existence of a God. I am saying there is no evidence for such a statement, and you still provide none. Ultimately, you are saying there is a God simply because you say so.

Once more, please provide evidence, and explain to me why the Flying Spaghetti Monster is not a suitable candidate.

Again you ask for evidence yet claim not to? Again you turn to your worship of the rational approach and cannot begin to accept that anything might exist outside that?

If you lived a few hundred years ago you would have been as certain that the earth was flat and cells were indivisible as you are now that God could not possibly exist . . . (how silly you would have felt, eh?)

This proletarian scrabbling after proofs and facts is merely intellectual pride . . . it is impossible to conceive of anything existing outside what can be known by man . . .

I'm sorry, shoey, but I accept that science presents only a very poor approximation of the universe around us but also it will one lead to a fuller understanding of God . . . if God so desires it . . .

How can you have a fuller understanding of something that you're guessing must exist?
And why is science 'scrabbling after proofs and facts'? It's responsible for all of our understanding of how the world works. Religion explains nothing - it's a belief system based on incredulity. See, that's the inherent contradiction in your argument: 'it's impossible to conceive of anything outside of what can be known by man'. Exactly - so why bother? You can't refute Darwinism and the anthropic principle by saying, 'Ah, but what existed before the big bang? Where did the gases come from? Must be God.'
Where's the intellectual rigour in that?
You write as if there's something noble about blind faith and something base about epiricism. Why should that be the case?
Jontyh
Jontyh

Why is "racist" such a hurtful insult? - Page 12 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2257
Registration date : 2008-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 27 Jan 2010, 11:20

Exactly. What I cannot understand is how people expect an omnipotent being to give a shit about us as a race, let alone as individuals. Surely someone omniscient would trivialise love and worship down to it's chemical nature. We expect humanoid understanding, compassion and, more than anything, anger. How can we expect such things from such a being?
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Wed 27 Jan 2010, 11:22

footwork wrote:
Zat wrote:Up to page 7 this thread was quite funny. Then it got all goddy. And turned to drivel. FFS, I was brought up by very religious parents, and accepted the existence of a God as much as I accepted the sun would come up in the morning.

A bit of life experience made me realise that there's a shitload of inculcation going on, and that while there may be a god, any god that wants people to act the way some people who act in the name of religion would have to be vindictive, petty and stupid.

I find it hard to accept that if there is a god, that any of the religions on earth have got it right.

I also suspect that there is more likelihood of their being intelligent alien life somewhere out in space than of there being a god that earth people have got right.

I wrote a post on page nine, you swine. Why is "racist" such a hurtful insult? - Page 12 Icon_lol

And it was repeated in so many ways, for the next ten pages, while being completely ignored. But do I care??
I have just this to say:

Blah!!!

Anyhoo, to shoey:
Shoey do you KNOW there is no god; or do you have FAITH there is no god?? Why is "racist" such a hurtful insult? - Page 12 Icon_lol

Nice try, but that doesn't work.

It is extremely unlikely there is no God because there's absolutely no reason to assume there is one. It is no different to saying it is extremely unlikely that there are pixies, extremely unlikely there are fairies. In all cases there is no reason to assume that they exist. No faith involved anywhere - as stated repeatedly I am quite willing to change my mind should there be reason to. Thus far there isn't.

Shoeshine

Why is "racist" such a hurtful insult? - Page 12 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4512

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed 27 Jan 2010, 11:47

Who is this God person anyway?
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 27 Jan 2010, 11:50

Well, depends who you talk to. Originally? He was called Jove and was one of many gods.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by spangler Wed 27 Jan 2010, 11:51

Robbie Fowler
spangler
spangler

Why is "racist" such a hurtful insult? - Page 12 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2554
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Jontyh Wed 27 Jan 2010, 11:53

Anyone read Richard Dawkins? His book the God Principle (I think, from memory - can't be arsed to look it up) is a rigourous examination of what we're discussing here.
Jontyh
Jontyh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jontyh Wed 27 Jan 2010, 11:54

Though Robbie Fowler is conspicuous by his absence from said tome.
Jontyh
Jontyh

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Wed 27 Jan 2010, 11:54

Brass Monkey wrote:Well, depends who you talk to. Originally? He was called Jove and was one of many gods.

The comment has been made before that we're all atheists with regards to Jupiter, Apollo, Mithras, Mabon, Wodin, Thor and Zeus. Some of us just go one god further. Wink

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Wed 27 Jan 2010, 11:54

Jontyh wrote:Anyone read Richard Dawkins? His book the God Principle (I think, from memory - can't be arsed to look it up) is a rigourous examination of what we're discussing here.

The God Delusion.

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next