Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why is "racist" such a hurtful insult?

+25
DJ_Smerk
Gary 111
krikri
Makaveli
footwork
doremi
eowyn
Growler
JKLever
Basil
Jontyh
Brass Monkey
buckSH
PlanetPakistan
furriner
embee
PeterCS
CT
Zat
tac
LeFromage
Eric Air Emu
Merlin
Shoeshine
skully
29 posters

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Why is "racist" such a hurtful insult? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why is "racist" such a hurtful insult?

Post by tac Tue 26 Jan 2010, 00:46

Shoeshine wrote:Of course. Let's face it, if it wasn't for sport, no-one would know Australia was even there. It's the only reason the world notices you - and then you lost to us! Very Happy

Bullshit . . . we also beat up subis
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Why is "racist" such a hurtful insult? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why is "racist" such a hurtful insult?

Post by CT Tue 26 Jan 2010, 01:01

skully wrote:When things are quiet in here you can always rely on some racist barbs or "you are a racist" barbs to get the joint hopping.

I think everyone has some degree of racism in them. Whether it be a simple stand-offishness towards someone who looks a little different, to outright distain for the views of another race or religion.

In this place racism and racist accusations get trotted out way too often, but I am the last to suggest that we censor such chat. It, afterall, does makes this place hum.

My personal opinion is that race means nothing. I have worked and played (cricket) with races of all walks and colours. I have generally found all varieties of the racial rainbow reasonable and personable people, and in the main, great folk. Particularly if the common love is cricket. I have many friends and colleagues of cricket-playing national heritage.

Since 911, the major problem in Aus has been the isolationist attitude of Muslims. Again I know many Muslims and they are generally gentle, kind and harmless souls. But it is the radical minority of this walk of life that seems hell bent on stirring up "racial" hatred in my and many other countries. We forever see reports of police clashes with violent muslim youths here in Aus. We have also seen, recently, a surge in the unfortunate (and sometimes coincidental) violent activity towards a particular race of people.

99.99% of the population does not condone such behaviour but the 0.01% is enough to convince many from the affected nation to think that a whole nation fits the stereotype. This is complete nonsense and deeply offensive to the vast majority of fair-minded people.

So this is my small and insignificant attempt to put racism v radical religious minority/idiotic minority racist hoon behaviour into perspective.

Today is Ausralia Day. I wish all my fellow Australians (as well as all others looking in), from whichever race or religion, a peaceful, enjoyable and fun day.

Over to you, bucks.
aces
CT
CT

Number of posts : 395
Registration date : 2007-09-14
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Tue 26 Jan 2010, 01:32

The one that really stings is the rat race.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 26 Jan 2010, 01:49

Zat wrote:'Why is "racist" such a hurtful insult?'

Because when it's first used in an argument, it's usually the last resort of someone for whom intellect and rational argument have failed. And once that card has been played, it opens a whole new dimension of argument.
Sage.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105986
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Tue 26 Jan 2010, 01:58

skully wrote:When things are quiet in here you can always rely on some racist barbs or "you are a racist" barbs to get the joint hopping.

I think everyone has some degree of racism in them. Whether it be a simple stand-offishness towards someone who looks a little different, to outright distain for the views of another race or religion.

In this place racism and racist accusations get trotted out way too often, but I am the last to suggest that we censor such chat. It, afterall, does makes this place hum.

My personal opinion is that race means nothing. I have worked and played (cricket) with races of all walks and colours. I have generally found all varieties of the racial rainbow reasonable and personable people, and in the main, great folk. Particularly if the common love is cricket. I have many friends and colleagues of cricket-playing national heritage.

Since 911, the major problem in Aus has been the isolationist attitude of Muslims. Again I know many Muslims and they are generally gentle, kind and harmless souls. But it is the radical minority of this walk of life that seems hell bent on stirring up "racial" hatred in my and many other countries. We forever see reports of police clashes with violent muslim youths here in Aus. We have also seen, recently, a surge in the unfortunate (and sometimes coincidental) violent activity towards a particular race of people.

99.99% of the population does not condone such behaviour but the 0.01% is enough to convince many from the affected nation to think that a whole nation fits the stereotype. This is complete nonsense and deeply offensive to the vast majority of fair-minded people.

So this is my small and insignificant attempt to put racism v radical religious minority/idiotic minority racist hoon behaviour into perspective.

Today is Ausralia Day. I wish all my fellow Australians (as well as all others looking in), from whichever race or religion, a peaceful, enjoyable and fun day.

Over to you, bucks.

More than one paragraph of blah blah blah ...skully is the new Vikas
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Tue 26 Jan 2010, 02:20

On the 'real' topic, this is my favourite Hitler video..sorry PP Smile

furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12508
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Tue 26 Jan 2010, 02:48

nice one Furr
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Tue 26 Jan 2010, 02:52

Over to you, bucks.

Skulls you can have a fairly lengthy and rather interesting discussion on this issue but since we don't have too much time i would just say that "racist" is a deragatory term which should only be used in extreme cases.
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 26 Jan 2010, 03:05

Fair call, PP.

And this was a rare Vikas-esque length post from me (apologies to all Very Happy). Was sitting up in the wee small hours with nothing better to do.

I won't let it happen again. Cool
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by buckSH Tue 26 Jan 2010, 03:10

Over to you, bucks.

What for ? I am just another ignorant, racist, casteist, idol-worshipper subi.

buckSH

Number of posts : 3027
Registration date : 2009-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Tue 26 Jan 2010, 03:30

buckSH wrote:
Over to you, bucks.

There are more?
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Tue 26 Jan 2010, 06:24

embee wrote:
buckSH wrote:
Over to you, bucks.

There are more?
If the shit fits...

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 26 Jan 2010, 08:32

Nice to see Farky has finally owned up to his real persona.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Jan 2010, 08:54

A charge of racism implies that one has a retarded ability to think, and an unacceptably narrow mind. Racism is the new Thoughtcrime.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 26 Jan 2010, 09:37

Here's me thinking that this could be quite a cool thread, then you get 'The London pricks' merlin and RobI confessing their love for Clarkson. They are what's wrong with the country, they really are - and I bet most of you deem them 'harmless'. Seriously. They are systematically f*cking this country.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 26 Jan 2010, 09:38

Why is "racist" such a hurtful insult? - Page 2 Homer_thinking

"I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter"

Applies equally to either RobI or Dan's post. Cool
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 26 Jan 2010, 09:46

Seriously skulls, you just don't know how much the likes of these two are 'the ruin' of the country - silent assassins if you will. There's no sensationalist headlines about the likes of these tossers although they're disintegrating this island moreso than the chavs and millitant pricks.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Tue 26 Jan 2010, 09:48

Oh don't talk utter rot. Clarkson has never been so guilty of hyperbole and exaggeration as you are saying that. So you don't like him, that's fine.

Shoeshine

Why is "racist" such a hurtful insult? - Page 2 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4512
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 26 Jan 2010, 09:49

Brass Monkey wrote:Seriously skulls, you just don't know how much the likes of these two are 'the ruin' of the country - silent assassins if you will. There's no sensationalist headlines about the likes of these tossers although they're disintegrating this island moreso than the chavs and millitant pricks.
Clarkson and his ilk, or Merls and RobI?
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 26 Jan 2010, 09:50

Clarkson, Merlin, RobI.

For the most part, they're interchangable.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 26 Jan 2010, 09:52

I see. Clarkson is certainly a borish buffoon but is he really capable of farking UK/Great Britain/England? Shocked
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 26 Jan 2010, 09:53

Shoeshine wrote:Oh don't talk utter rot. Clarkson has never been so guilty of hyperbole and exaggeration as you are saying that. So you don't like him, that's fine.

Um, it was slightly tongue-in-cheek - but as for the 'hyperbole and exaggeration' judgement on Clarkson, go f*ck yourself. Seriously. He's one of the biggest jingoistic twats that have had the fortune of appearing on the TV or in the newspapers.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 26 Jan 2010, 09:54

skully wrote:I see. Clarkson is certainly a borish buffoon but is he really capable of farking UK/Great Britain/England? Shocked

People of that ilk. There's more than just three. There're actually millions. And they're shite. A waste of space.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 26 Jan 2010, 09:55

Sounds like you need to "go postal", Dan and do a bit o' cleansing. Wink
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Tue 26 Jan 2010, 09:55

Brass Monkey wrote:Here's me thinking that this could be quite a cool thread, then you get 'The London pricks' merlin and RobI confessing their love for Clarkson. They are what's wrong with the country, they really are - and I bet most of you deem them 'harmless'. Seriously. They are systematically f*cking this country.

Laughing PMSL .... Nice one!
You really are a sad little bugger Monkeh ... must be all that livin' you all do Norf of bleedin' Watford.
Emigrate down Saath ... breathe the air.... purge yerself of all that is "North" ... and thus purify your body and what's left of your brain.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next