Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mental Illness, Neurosis, Depression and Suicide

+12
Big Dog
Brass Monkey
JGK
Batman
Red
buckSH
skully
JKLever
Lara Lara Laughs
furriner
taipan
Chivalry Augustus
16 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Mental Illness, Neurosis, Depression and Suicide - Page 5 Empty Re: Mental Illness, Neurosis, Depression and Suicide

Post by skully Fri 26 Oct 2018, 23:51

Yeah, paywalled.

What’s the gist, MrK?
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105947
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Mental Illness, Neurosis, Depression and Suicide - Page 5 Empty Re: Mental Illness, Neurosis, Depression and Suicide

Post by JGK Sat 27 Oct 2018, 06:34

Good looking young wealthy sportsman with everything to live for suddenly can't cope with life but luckily has the support group around him to identify it and start to deal with it (with a bit of a wary note about what might happen to him once he leaves the sport/retires). 

Moral of the story - depression, like cancer, is a qunt which doesn't discriminate.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Sat 27 Oct 2018, 07:01

So, three current Oz players have been affected by the black dog - Maddison, Reeks FFS and Puck. This is prolly is under incidence rates. Good luck to the three of them.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Sat 27 Oct 2018, 07:12

JGK wrote:Good looking young wealthy sportsman with everything to live for suddenly can't cope with life but luckily has the support group around him to identify it and start to deal with it (with a bit of a wary note about what might happen to him once he leaves the sport/retires). 

Moral of the story - depression, like cancer, is a qunt which doesn't discriminate.

..... And you are right Mr K. Depression along with psychotic disorders knows no class, gender, language or cultural differences. Happily the science is slowly catching up.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sat 27 Oct 2018, 07:18

I can't point to any stats but cricket does have a sad history of ex-players taking their own lives, including Bairstow Sr.    I vaguely recall the rate is about double the general population. 

David Frith wrote a book on it about 30 years ago - something like "By His Own Hand".

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sat 27 Oct 2018, 07:23

Let's see if this works:

Spoiler:

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Sat 27 Oct 2018, 08:49

Thanks Mr K, a fine article.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Sat 27 Oct 2018, 22:31

Do you know, it's interesting the quirks that fate can throw up. This evening, out of sheer boredom, I realised that I hadn't been on here for a while. I don't have the forum book-marked anymore because - to be brutally honest - I've fallen out of love with the game nowadays and I'm not especially bothered about discussing cricket or its nuances. My cricket enjoyment nowadays is derived from looking at the scorecards at close of play, and the watching of highlights of the occasional (and increasingly rare) god match that comes along. So, as it is, I came on here because it's an old habit that I momentarily reverted to.

It seems odd to me to see one of my own posts bumped up here after so long, as if I was meant to look upon it now, from a different perspective, and see for myself, in the cold truth of hindsight, who I was and who I have become. Truthfully, I don't recognise that person anymore. I'm not at all convinced I was ever mentally ill. I think I was depressingly young and naive, devoid of the kinds of experience that teach you harshly exactly how the world operates, especially in terms of your capabilities within it. I put too high a price on things that weren't especially important, and I identified too much with the idea of who I was that I had built up in my mind. I wanted to fit in, but I wanted to be edgy, too.

I didn't believe either that my persona was at all changeable, malleable, that I could be somebody that I was not, and that I would in time find comfort in my own skin and step away from the boy to become a man. You can see it really in a lot of my old posts if you read through them. There is a distinct sense of an insecure, attention-whoring child, screaming at everybody who would listen. "Look at me," I yell, "Look at me." At that point in my life, I was drawn to the same kind of person. I once fell for a girl with that same kind of attention-whoring personality, and it nearly destroyed me. And I laugh at those things now - the person I was, and the people that I was drawn to.

I had to learn for myself the apathetic nature of the Universe. I had to learn to let go of toxic people, and to let go of my own toxic thoughts. But, in time, I did. And it wasn't because I was particularly special or interesting, it wasn't because I was strong or brave or any of the bullshit you see attributed to anybody who does anything nowadays. It was because I was alive, and there was plenty about life that I enjoyed, and that I felt then, as I do now, that there was plenty I had left that I wanted and needed to do. There are still a great many things that elude me, and seeing this post now seems particularly serendipitous because, these past few weeks, I have lamented some of the things that I am missing, and chided myself for not yet having found them. I remember 6 years ago that I was missing things too, and that here, now, I have found some of them.

It's nice to know that by getting up, and getting on, there's a good chance I can yet find those things.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

Mental Illness, Neurosis, Depression and Suicide - Page 5 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Sat 27 Oct 2018, 23:26

Good on you Chic. Reading that thoughtful observer post has lightened an otherwise gloomy Sunday morning here.

Really pleased to see you up and taking on life.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5