Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mental Illness, Neurosis, Depression and Suicide

+12
Big Dog
Brass Monkey
JGK
Batman
Red
buckSH
skully
JKLever
Lara Lara Laughs
furriner
taipan
Chivalry Augustus
16 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Mental Illness, Neurosis, Depression and Suicide - Page 2 Empty Re: Mental Illness, Neurosis, Depression and Suicide

Post by Brass Monkey Sat 16 Jun 2012, 10:31

Big Dog wrote:I've had a few bouts with the black dog in the past. I found the biggest problem was getting people to understand what you are going through. Unless you have suffered from it you have no way of understanding just how debilitating it is. People who haven't suffered think depression is just a bad case of the blues but it is much much more than that.

I've heard that clinical depression is like nothing else... it must be really tough, it is difficult for people to understand. It's been phrased to me that it's not that you feel down it's that you don't feel anything. Is that what you had?
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Mental Illness, Neurosis, Depression and Suicide - Page 2 Empty Re: Mental Illness, Neurosis, Depression and Suicide

Post by Brass Monkey Sat 16 Jun 2012, 10:34

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:It may just be your personal opinion - but it's a worthless, sack of sh*t of an opinion. It's the opinion of a healthy individual who has no idea what a person with bipolar goes through. Morons don't seem to realise that people who committ suicide are often not able to rationalise and think normally. They sit there with their relatively happy, chemically functional brains and pontificate on cowardice like they know jack sh*t about anything.

The 'wife' and the 'father in-law' have both attempted it (overdose), but realised before it was too late. He must've been an incredibly desperate soul to check himself out. Certainly I couldn't fathom it from my chair of 'normality'.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Sat 16 Jun 2012, 10:36

Clamson wrote:
Is it an appropriate time to re-post that photo again?

Having a schizoid personality has ruined my life. But it doesn't hurt. It doesn't feel like I miss out. I know I do though.

Shit, sorry to hear that mate - what aspect has it affected you the most in would you say? I have mates with it, they reckon they find it hard being on their own.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sat 16 Jun 2012, 10:42

shame doctorspin is not in - get that cooksacker in here ASAP

Last edited by lardbucket on Sat 16 Jun 2012, 10:43; edited 1 time in total

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38098
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Sat 16 Jun 2012, 10:42

Brass Monkey wrote:
Lara Lara Laughs wrote:It may just be your personal opinion - but it's a worthless, sack of sh*t of an opinion. It's the opinion of a healthy individual who has no idea what a person with bipolar goes through. Morons don't seem to realise that people who committ suicide are often not able to rationalise and think normally. They sit there with their relatively happy, chemically functional brains and pontificate on cowardice like they know jack sh*t about anything.

The 'wife' and the 'father in-law' have both attempted it (overdose), but realised before it was too late. He must've been an incredibly desperate soul to check himself out. Certainly I couldn't fathom it from my chair of 'normality'.

It was a hideously ignorant (some would say offensive) post and it's put a geniune angry edge on my Saturday morning.

What a massive stupid prick.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Sat 16 Jun 2012, 10:43

Brass Monkey wrote:
Big Dog wrote:I've had a few bouts with the black dog in the past. I found the biggest problem was getting people to understand what you are going through. Unless you have suffered from it you have no way of understanding just how debilitating it is. People who haven't suffered think depression is just a bad case of the blues but it is much much more than that.

I've heard that clinical depression is like nothing else... it must be really tough, it is difficult for people to understand. It's been phrased to me that it's not that you feel down it's that you don't feel anything. Is that what you had?

Its not just a mental thing, its also physical. I had panic attacks & my diaphram contracted so it felt like my heart was being squeezed. My teeth would start chattering even though i was'nt cold. I did'nt sleep for days on end & it felt like the weight of the world was on my shoulders. Bad sh!t.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sat 16 Jun 2012, 10:44

hideously ignorant, offensive, and totally unsurprising given the source

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Sat 16 Jun 2012, 10:45

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:
It was a hideously ignorant (some would say offensive) post and it's put a geniune angry edge on my Saturday morning.

Chill man.. it's not like he said that Ian Bell is a top ODI player Wink
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Sat 16 Jun 2012, 10:46

Big Dog wrote:

Its not just a mental thing, its also physical. I had panic attacks & my diaphram contracted so it felt like my heart was being squeezed. My teeth would start chattering even though i was'nt cold. I did'nt sleep for days on end & it felt like the weight of the world was on my shoulders. Bad sh!t.

F*cking hell mate... that's terrible. Sorry to hear that. Really does sound awful. Are you on top of it for most of the time now, or do you ever lapse back into it?
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Sat 16 Jun 2012, 10:50

Brass Monkey wrote:
Big Dog wrote:

F*cking hell mate... that's terrible. Sorry to hear that. Really does sound awful. Are you on top of it for most of the time now, or do you ever lapse back into it?

Took eighteen months & a cocktail of drugs to beat it. Did'nt help that my shrink was convicted of seducing one of his patients & struck off. I have had a couple of minor relapses but have been on top of it for the last ten years or so.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Sat 16 Jun 2012, 10:51

Brass Monkey wrote:
Lara Lara Laughs wrote:

Chill man.. it's not like he said that Ian Bell is a top ODI player Wink

Aye I will. It's not pleasant having people you know called cowards by idiots though.

Big Dog - I've always slept more when depressed. I'm guessing you were on a whole new level of depression. Glad you seem alright now.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Sat 16 Jun 2012, 10:52

Big Dog wrote:
Took eighteen months & a cocktail of drugs to beat it. Did'nt help that my shrink was convicted of seducing one of his patients & struck off. I have had a couple of minor relapses but have been on top of it for the last ten years or so.

That's good to hear. Fair play to you for winning the battle, it's apparently very tough.

Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Sat 16 Jun 2012, 10:54

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:Aye I will. It's not pleasant having people you know called cowards by idiots though.

Aye, well obviously you're allowed to be incensed, I was just saying that it's not worth letting it ruin your morning. It's Saturday! Also, it's awful outside and Ian Bell's shouldering arms in an ODI - plenty to be happy about!
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Sat 16 Jun 2012, 10:55

Brass Monkey wrote:
Big Dog wrote:

That's good to hear. Fair play to you for winning the battle, it's apparently very tough.

You never really beat it. Its always just around the corner. You just have to learn the signs & move before it hits you.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Sat 16 Jun 2012, 10:58

Big Dog wrote:
You never really beat it. Its always just around the corner. You just have to learn the signs & move before it hits you.

Aye, 'insight' they call it... I know I'll never make the same mistakes I did with my mrs again.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Sat 16 Jun 2012, 10:58

Aye, and it's my birthday today. Would be a bit silly to let Batman ruin that.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Sat 16 Jun 2012, 11:03

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:Aye, and it's my birthday today. Would be a bit silly to let Batman ruin that.

Oh shit, Happy Birthday Laz! It doesn't say owt on the front page!

Hope you have a good 'un.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sat 16 Jun 2012, 11:05

happy birthday LLL

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Sat 16 Jun 2012, 11:10

Haha! I wasn't fishing for happy birthdays. I was saying how ridiculous letting Batman spoil anything is.

Cheers though both of you. boozin

It's raincloud outside like it always is on my bday.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Sat 16 Jun 2012, 11:12

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:
Batman wrote:

LLL - What your office colleague did was sad. But unforgivable. Anyone heartless enough to dump his 7 year old child to face harsh realities of life by chickening out of his responsibilities won't ever get my sympathy. People who do that come across as cowards to me. Not having the will to live is just a yellow excuse to avoid facing life and it's responsibilities [my own personal view]. Just my own opinion.

It may just be your personal opinion - but it's a worthless, sack of sh*t of an opinion. It's the opinion of a healthy individual who has no idea what a person with bipolar goes through. Morons don't seem to realise that people who committ suicide are often not able to rationalise and think normally. They sit there with their relatively happy, chemically functional brains and pontificate on cowardice like they know jack sh*t about anything.

You have zero right to judge anyone with mental illness. If it helps self righteous idiots not judge, he'd not been taking any medication for years and his daughter lived with his divorced wife. No-one knows exactly why and what because he'd been keeping it all to himself.

Robert Ford was a coward. A man who kills himself because of crushing depression is not.

You know f*ck all.

I don't know anything about bipolar disorders. I am completely ignorant about it and I will admit that. It is not my intention to judge people suffering from this disorder. I am not saying people don't suffer from it. But I just can't sympathize somehow of people who can commit suicide and leave their young kids to fend for their own. Thats how I see it. Effects of a large consumer society where people have no time for each other probably. Just an assumption there. Here in India we don't have special medicine or medical professionals dedicated for this sort of thing. Bigger cities may have but truth is people perhaps even if they do suffer they might not be open about it. Maybe they fear people might think of them as loonies. Who knows? Perhaps we have closed secretive closet cases and if so perhaps Govt should have more work done to make it a public health programme. This is still one very huge grey area here. I India, committing suicide or attempting one is considered a legal federal offence and people who survive it can actually be jailed instead of being considered on empathetic merits. Yeah it's pathetic I know. Our laws lag 200 years in past. But with modern time and their modern illnesses, perhaps that will change and is changing slowly. AFAIC, I am not in a position to comment further nor claim an understanding of an issue like this. On a personal note, I have also gone through real depressing times dark times when one would think death is a better option than living. Where rage and anger at ones own self and the world at large is at an all time high. Or the feeling of having fallen lowest and feeling completely worthless. I reckon everybody does. We all face the absolute lows once in life. If anyone out there never has, lucky dog. But never for once I thought of taking that step. I always thought who would console my family and how would they deal with losing me and how I could be that selfish to escape my problems and leave them to deal with the mess. Some people deal with it fine. Some just take it too much on their souls than others. And if medicine can help those who can't cope better than it is wonderful. But I have never had such suicidal thoughts or experience even when I thought I had reached the end of the line. I have no reference point to co-relate. One of my close college mates, a young successful painter committed suicide some time after college after a failed love relationship with some girl. I do know of losing someone I knew to suicide. When I first heard the news, my first reaction was absolute shock and grief filled. Then it was replaced with sympathy. Then finally with anger at him for having thrown his life and happiness of his family and parents for wasting his life over a stupid female who probably won't even bother that he died because he loved her deeply. I just think of all people who can commit suicide and cause grief to their loved ones as irresponsible cowards. Cases of school and college students committing suicide are on a rise here too now. Performance anxiety, fear of failure is looked at and steps are being taken by Govt, schools and doctors to monitor school kids now. The victims are kids who think they will do badly in exams or those who flunked their main school to college or higher education exams. And everytime I read those news, I felt an unsuppressed anger at that kid, because he didn't think of his family and how much hell he would put his parents through for bringing him up so many years with so many dreams and hopes and love and to have it all ruined by one single failure at academics? I could excuse kids because they aren't mature and can't think too well. But surely adults can. We get cases of farmers reeling under heavy farming debts commit suicide and I feel rage. Rage that he thought that he would be free of his debts by that act and that his wife and kids, who have no means of their own can manage it. The kid won't get school, and the woman may be forced into suicide or prostitution without either the land or means to support herself with no education and independent life of her own. These rural backward areas here are the worst for a woman to survive with dignity and honor. It is this selfishness on the part of people who take that last step that I hate. They don't look beyond their own self. My sympathies for people who feel it. But I am sorry. There is nothing I can do if I feel contempt for people who commit suicides. You can call as many harsh things as you want. Maybe even call me a cold-hearted guy with a heart of pure granite. I firmly believe that no matter what the situation is there is always a way and people shouldn't give up this easily. It is my belief that when faced with such choices in life. people must always think of their families and of how many lives they may wreck by taking one hasty step.
Evil or Very Mad

And happy birthday mate. have a great one.....
boozin

Last edited by Batman on Sat 16 Jun 2012, 11:41; edited 1 time in total
Batman
Batman

Number of posts : 8881
Registration date : 2007-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Sat 16 Jun 2012, 11:30

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:Aye, and it's my birthday today. Would be a bit silly to let Batman ruin that.

And how did I ruin that? It was just a point of view. I don't see how any debate can ruin anyone's birthday. You shouldn't have come here today in which case... Wink
Batman
Batman

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Sat 16 Jun 2012, 11:37

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:
Brass Monkey wrote:

Yeah I am stupid prick because I think people who commit suicide are selfish for not putting their family first over their ownself. So sue me. You are hellbent ruining your B'day over it. Sensitivity to people who do is one thing but what about sensitivity to those whose lives are connected and those who suffer most in it's wake. Like life was most crappiest to only some and not others. When was life fair to anyone? My thoughts are always with those who are condemned to forever suffer in silence than those who leave them to suffer in one mad selfish moment of ending all. Sorry. But please don't ruin your B'day over this.
Batman
Batman

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Sat 16 Jun 2012, 11:39

I suggest you read up on it. You still don't seem to understand that it can be so all consuming, thinking about other people in any sort of analytical way is near impossible. You can't just tell someone with a severe mental disorder, contemplating suicide to "cheer up" or "think of their family".

I don't see how it's much different from people deciding to be euthanised because they have no quality of life. Depression is every bit as debilitating for some as being completely palaryzed. No-one calls disabled people who want to die "cowards" or "selfish". Often their families are all for euthanasia as they can see the pain their loved one is in. I imagine if people knew just how serious the "invisible pain" of depression is, they may feel the same way about people who take matters into their own hands.

Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sat 16 Jun 2012, 11:42