Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Wimbledon Thread

+44
leg glancer
Hass
spangler
Gary 111
Hilda
Don't quote me
beamer
Chivalry Augustus
horace
The One
Paul Keating
Winkle Spinner
Ash
Henry Nolonga
Basil
Zat
Invader Zim
G.Wood
Geoffrey Trueman
skully
Fred Nerk
Red
LeFromage
WideWally
PearlJ
doremi
Jontyh
Merlin
Mick Sawyer
Henry
holcs
eowyn
Lara Lara Laughs
Chandan
SG
JGK
lardbucket
PlanetPakistan
PeterCS
taipan
Big_Bad_Bob
Brass Monkey
embee
JKLever
48 posters

Page 11 of 22 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 22  Next

Go down

The Wimbledon Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: The Wimbledon Thread

Post by Big_Bad_Bob Tue 01 Jul 2008, 01:35

Winkle Spinner wrote:True. But that last set was absolutely epic. They were both squared off, daring each other to be the one to blink first. Compelling stuff. Either could have won it pretty much every other game.

Ancic was dead and buried in the fourth set, then won five straight games.

Maybe it's just because I don't like Murray.

Aye - as an epic the Ancic match certainly has to shade it, as Gasquet faded pretty horribly once Murray got the bit between his teeth and there was almost no doubt as to the final result as the comeback gathered momentum.

It was the contrast between the first and second half of the Murray match that made it so remarkable to me - and Murray was literally at the point of no return when the turnaround began.
Big_Bad_Bob
Big_Bad_Bob

The Wimbledon Thread - Page 11 ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3718
Registration date : 2007-09-28
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Tue 01 Jul 2008, 01:56

Gah. There goes my £250 return if Gasquet had won the whole thing. Sad
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Tue 01 Jul 2008, 06:47

'Anna Kournikova's a bitch and I despise her'

Serena Williams has hit back at US tennis player Justin Gimelstob, after he called Russian player Anna Kournikova "a bitch" and two other female players "sexpots".

Gimelstob made the comments during a radio interview, just before being voted on to the ATP board as a players' representative at the weekend.

The 31-year-old, who retired last year, said he aimed to make Kournikova cry at an upcoming mixed doubles tournament, and described French players Tatiana Golovin and Alize Cornet "sexpots", and Czech player Nicole Vaidisova as a "well-developed young lady".

According to The Times of London, Gimelstob said of Kournikova: "Hate is a very strong word - I just despise her to the maximum level just below hate."

"I'm going to serve it right at the body, about 128 (mph), right into her midriff.

"If she's not crying by the time she comes off court then I did not do my job."

Gimelstob has since apologised for the comments.

Serena Williams, who reached the last 16 of Wimbledon on Friday, said Gimelstob's comments were unnecessary.

"Being pro-women's rights, I just think we've come farther than to be referred to like this," she said. Williams.

"Anna is a great girl. For anyone to say that about her is not professional. It's just totally uncalled for. Unless you really know these people, you talk to these people, you never know what people go through. It's not good to say those things about people."

Vaidisova, the world number 22, said Gimelstob's comments were just a joke that had backfired.

"I know his sense of humour a little bit. I know he kind of talks like that a little bit. So I can cut him some slack," Vaidisova said.

"I have briefly seen it. I know Justin. He's a very nice guy. I heard he apologised for it. I think it's just you say something and you don't really mean it. It happens."

Kournikova refused to get into a slanging match. "It's not about these things; it's about keeping it fun and positive for the fans," she said.

The ATP said it "cannot condone any form of intolerance", describing Gimelstob's comments as "unacceptable".

Gimelstob's highest singles ranking was 63, and he earnt $US2,574,422 in prizemoney during his career.

* Gimelstob quotes, according to The Times.

On Kournikova...

"She is a bitch. Hate's a very strong word. I despise her to the maximum level just below hate... I wouldn't mind having my younger brother, who's a kind of a stud, nail her and then reap the benefits."

"She has a great body but her face is a five."

On women players...

"Female tennis players lack the social skills, they don't go to high school, they don't go to parties."

On Tatiana Golovin...

"She is a sexpot."

On Nicole Vaidisova...

"She's a well developed young lady."

On Alize Cornet...

"She's a little sexpot."

On the women's tour...

"There are fewer lesbians now because they're all Russian chicks. And there's some other cute ones out there."

smh.com.au and AFP
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

The Wimbledon Thread - Page 11 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4663
Registration date : 2007-10-25
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Tue 01 Jul 2008, 06:49

BTW - is there a more over-rated tennis player in the entire history of the sport than Andy "I got no weapons" Roddick
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 01 Jul 2008, 06:52

Paul Keating wrote:'Anna Kournikova's a bitch and I despise her'

Serena Williams has hit back at US tennis player Justin Gimelstob, after he called Russian player Anna Kournikova "a bitch" and two other female players "sexpots".

Gimelstob made the comments during a radio interview, just before being voted on to the ATP board as a players' representative at the weekend.

The 31-year-old, who retired last year, said he aimed to make Kournikova cry at an upcoming mixed doubles tournament, and described French players Tatiana Golovin and Alize Cornet "sexpots", and Czech player Nicole Vaidisova as a "well-developed young lady".

According to The Times of London, Gimelstob said of Kournikova: "Hate is a very strong word - I just despise her to the maximum level just below hate."

"I'm going to serve it right at the body, about 128 (mph), right into her midriff.

"If she's not crying by the time she comes off court then I did not do my job."

Gimelstob has since apologised for the comments.

Serena Williams, who reached the last 16 of Wimbledon on Friday, said Gimelstob's comments were unnecessary.

"Being pro-women's rights, I just think we've come farther than to be referred to like this," she said. Williams.

"Anna is a great girl. For anyone to say that about her is not professional. It's just totally uncalled for. Unless you really know these people, you talk to these people, you never know what people go through. It's not good to say those things about people."

Vaidisova, the world number 22, said Gimelstob's comments were just a joke that had backfired.

"I know his sense of humour a little bit. I know he kind of talks like that a little bit. So I can cut him some slack," Vaidisova said.

"I have briefly seen it. I know Justin. He's a very nice guy. I heard he apologised for it. I think it's just you say something and you don't really mean it. It happens."

Kournikova refused to get into a slanging match. "It's not about these things; it's about keeping it fun and positive for the fans," she said.

The ATP said it "cannot condone any form of intolerance", describing Gimelstob's comments as "unacceptable".

Gimelstob's highest singles ranking was 63, and he earnt $US2,574,422 in prizemoney during his career.

* Gimelstob quotes, according to The Times.

On Kournikova...

"She is a bitch. Hate's a very strong word. I despise her to the maximum level just below hate... I wouldn't mind having my younger brother, who's a kind of a stud, nail her and then reap the benefits."

"She has a great body but her face is a five."

On women players...

"Female tennis players lack the social skills, they don't go to high school, they don't go to parties."

On Tatiana Golovin...

"She is a sexpot."

On Nicole Vaidisova...

"She's a well developed young lady."

On Alize Cornet...

"She's a little sexpot."

On the women's tour...

"There are fewer lesbians now because they're all Russian chicks. And there's some other cute ones out there."

smh.com.au and AFP

LOL.

He's gone a bit over the top, but one thing is for sure- Tennis wise, the womens game is very poor at the moment. And no way should they get the same prize money as the men when they only play best of three sets. If you want equal prize money and claim that you are equal to the men, play a tough five setter like they have to do.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 01 Jul 2008, 06:55

Big_Bad_Bob wrote:Fantastic match. Not sure I can remember a better comeback than that.

Can't see him taking a set off Nadal mind - pretty unlucky for Murray to end up in the same quarter really - I think he'd have had a better shot at taking down Federer just at the moment.

Ah well - it's progress for him anyway, and it's good to see him fit enough to be able to slug it out in the 5th.

He's got more bottle than I credited him with too.

Will he ever compete with the very best? Probably not, but he might just win a Slam by accident one day if the top players all blow up at the same time as they have in this year's women's championship.

Yep, far more bottle than I suspected. I had written him off when he lost the second.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Tue 01 Jul 2008, 06:58

That was a bit crazy. Was he drunk? And no way is Anna's face a 5.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 01 Jul 2008, 06:59

Paul Keating wrote:BTW - is there a more over-rated tennis player in the entire history of the sport than Andy "I got no weapons" Roddick

He is very overrated. Tends to happen when you're probably the only half decent (And I mean just half decent) American player who happens to be fairly good looking. James Blake is overrated as well for the same reasons. Can anyone ever remember him winning a tournament of note?

Tennis seems to be dying everywhere except Europe and South America.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 01 Jul 2008, 07:00

Henry wrote:
Paul Keating wrote:BTW - is there a more over-rated tennis player in the entire history of the sport than Andy "I got no weapons" Roddick

He is very overrated. Tends to happen when you're probably the only half decent (And I mean just half decent) American player who happens to be fairly good looking. James Blake is overrated as well for the same reasons. Can anyone ever remember him winning a tournament of note?

Tennis seems to be dying everywhere except Europe and South America.

It's the same as boxing. The players from those areas are hungier.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Tue 01 Jul 2008, 07:01

I wouldn't say tennis is dying in America. It's just that the rest have caught up.

Why do you think there are so many Eastern Europeans and Russians in the top 100, because sport is almost their only way out of a life of poverty.
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Tue 01 Jul 2008, 07:03

doremi wrote:That was a bit crazy. Was he drunk? And no way is Anna's face a 5.

Maybe it will be a 5 after he rockets a ball into her face.

She really is top of the pops. Hot as hot can be.
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 01 Jul 2008, 07:05

Well, the womens game is dominated by Eastern Europeans, but the mens game is dominated by players from wealthy European countries. I guess the reason would be that men in Eastern European countries tend to have better opportunities than women education and career wise?
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Tue 01 Jul 2008, 07:08

True Trev.

I remember being told something about Latvia has a massive ratio of single women who couldn't find a man because all the men had travelled internationally to find jobs and education. Women found it much tougher to shut up shop and leave their parents.
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 01 Jul 2008, 07:11

Paul Keating wrote:True Trev.

I remember being told something about Latvia has a massive ratio of single women who couldn't find a man because all the men had travelled internationally to find jobs and education. Women found it much tougher to shut up shop and leave their parents.

*Packs his suitcase full of condoms and books a flight to Latvia*
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Tue 01 Jul 2008, 07:13

When I was in Prague last year, it was full of English Stag nights. They all said the hardnuts all go to Estonia or Lativa.

Mate, as far as I am concerned, the Czech Republic is the furthest East I would go. It was not my cup of tea. It was dull and full of angry people.
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 01 Jul 2008, 07:15

The movie 'Hostel' has kinda turned me off going too far east.....
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Tue 01 Jul 2008, 07:15

Paul Keating wrote:When I was in Prague last year, it was full of English Stag nights. They all said the hardnuts all go to Estonia or Lativa.

Mate, as far as I am concerned, the Czech Republic is the furthest East I would go. It was not my cup of tea. It was dull and full of angry people.

Don't go to Brisbane then
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Tue 01 Jul 2008, 07:17

Obviously that movie is over the top, but I when I was at the border of the Czech Republic I was interrogated for fifteen minutes. Shitting myself and thought here we go, this is the end.

Can you imagine what border control with ex-mafia men would be like trying to get into the slavic and eastern states. I hate to imagine.
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Tue 01 Jul 2008, 07:20

Henry wrote:LOL.

He's gone a bit over the top, but one thing is for sure- Tennis wise, the womens game is very poor at the moment. And no way should they get the same prize money as the men when they only play best of three sets. If you want equal prize money and claim that you are equal to the men, play a tough five setter like they have to do.

bull. women should get the same only if its a level playing field, i.e. they compete against men. besides sport can you imagine any other area where you have such sexual discrimination? the men should fight for equal rights

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 01 Jul 2008, 07:23

That's more or less what I was saying- The women don't deserve equal prize money.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Tue 01 Jul 2008, 07:25

not really. you think they should get the same if they play 5 sets against each other. thats hardly fair to the men, they face much superior opponents

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 01 Jul 2008, 07:27

But 5 sets is comparable physically. If the womens game is generating as much money as the mens game (And thanks to the glamour of the likes of Sharapova and Ivanovic, I think it's pretty close) then they should get equal proze money IF they are are prepared to play best of 5 sets like the men.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Tue 01 Jul 2008, 07:28

Prize money in tennis as well as wages in other sport shoud be dependent on how profitable the sport is not length of the contest.

If women's tennis WTA has a strong market, gets a lot of corporates in, lots of sponsorship, Television revenue and ratings, amount of tickets sales etc, and if this is all comparable to the men's ATP tour, then by all means they should be gettng the same money.

It's not always about time spent on a court, a field, a pool or whatever. It's Commercial business.
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 01 Jul 2008, 07:38

Surely the pay split should depend on the relative entertainment value. Therefore, if people would happily pay as much to watch a women's match as a men's match, and TV is willing to pay the same for both then they should be paid the same.

Having said that, there is no way that women's tennis is more entertaining than men's and it will remain that way until there is a "Loser does a nude lap of the court" rule.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 01 Jul 2008, 07:39

Having said that, there is no way that women's tennis is more entertaining than men's and it will remain that way until there is a "Loser does a nude lap of the court" rule.

Considering that Ivanovic and Sharapova are ranked 1 and 2 in the world, shouldn't it be 'winner does a nude lap of the court'?
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 22 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 22  Next